Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Onvif

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Cczarny
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any plans to add onvif support to add 3rd party cameras to hub and cloud recording? I enjoy the layout and the fee is reasonable for  residential but even with top of the line arlo camera there are certain limitations that can't be exceeded like having a high end zoom from 30m away or ptz, accessing local recordings without a whole bunch of extra steps and missing thumbnail images.

Overall really enjoy the product as a introduction to cvr but been wanting more out of it without restrictions.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo did have an ONVIF-capable camera at one time quite a while ago but that's been long discontinued. I don't know anything about the topic but I suspect some specific hardware needs to be inserted so I doubt it ever will be. 

As for zooming, the digital zoom is generally limited due to the compression as well as the extreme wide angle view of the cameras. I wish an identification-type camera would be added with a much longer focal length which would help the situation with the caveat that it would need to be more precisely aimed.

The local recording access has certainly changed with the new UI, requiring extra steps to access them. I suppose that's intentional so folks would be a bit more inclined to subscribe for cloud recordings. Same thing with the thumbnails.

Cczarny
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems like it's just a matter of hub software, there are cloud products using a bridge(hub) that seek out LAN connected cameras and connect them to their cloud service. I'd rather not toss all my arlo cameras and DB just to improve 1 camera view but this is one limitation pushing me to do so.