Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

IFTT and new Arlo App 4.10

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Has the new app broken IFTT integrations?  I have been running an Applet that would send a 60 sec record command to one of my Arlo Pro cameras.  Since updating the app to the new 4.1 version, the IFTT record command is no longer working. 

24 REPLIES 24
kh2000
Initiate
Initiate

IFTTT's ARM (specific camera ) Action allows you to select which camera to arm.  Unfortunately, no matter which camera you choose, all this trigger does is change the "Mode" in the Arlo app to "Arm Away".  Whatever cameras you have a routine set up for in the Arlo app mode will run.

In my situation, I have four outdoor cameras (including a doorbell) and one indoor camera.  Within the Arlo app, my modes are set up like so:

"Arm Away" - All cameras are armed.

"Arm Home" - All outdoor cameras are armed while the indoor camera is disarmed.

"Standby" - only the outdoor doorbell camera is armed while all other cameras are disarmed.

So, if I only arm one camera using IFTTT it will change the Arlo app "mode" to "Arm Away" and run the routine/cameras listed within the Arlo "Arm Away" mode which in my case is all cameras.  Since my family and I are home most nights, we only want to "Arm Home" mode to be in use.  

IFTTT and Arlo will not allow you to do this.  The way it is set up/works is any camera armed will automatically default to Arlo app "Armed Away" mode.  It absolutely makes no sense at all and is unintuitive at best as I am trying to create a smart home and not an arduous task every night.  Keep in mind I have kids and a wife which I am trying to keep these operations simplified.

My proposed solution is to either allow IFTTT to have permission/trigger ONLY ARM SELECTED CAMERAS without changing Arlo mode or IFTTT has a trigger to choose which ARLO MODE YOU WISH TO HAVE ACTIVATED.  Otherwise, when it comes to arming cameras, the whole IFTTT/Arlo support is 100% completely useless as it will always require extra manual steps to arm our system.  This is completely unacceptable to call Arlo/IFTTT SMART.

Any suggestions or walkarounds would be greatly appreciated!

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

That is how the new UI is supposed to function. 

kh2000
Initiate
Initiate

It does not make sense.  My original statement stands and I would hope that Aro would consider doing one or the other.

"My proposed solution is to either allow IFTTT to have permission/trigger ONLY ARM SELECTED CAMERAS without changing Arlo mode or IFTTT has a trigger to choose which ARLO MODE YOU WISH TO HAVE ACTIVATED.  Otherwise, when it comes to arming cameras, the whole IFTTT/Arlo support is 100% completely useless as it will always require extra manual steps to arm our system.  This is completely unacceptable to call Arlo/IFTTT SMART."

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I will pass this onto our development team. 

glennmead
Aspirant
Aspirant

Allowing IFTTT to set the Arlo mode would be extremally helpful.

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Has anyone run into this problem with the record command via IFTTT?

parost
Aspirant
Aspirant

I might have the same problem.

What happens if you try to create a new integration?
i don't get the option to connect to the cameras.

parost_0-1703798417376.png

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

I tried the scheduling option in the new app to force a recording at a specific time and it does nothing either.

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

I am really having a hard time figuring out this new app. I set a schedule to do a recording and absolutely nothing happens! The camera is active, the schedule is set to run in every mode and there is no recording.

Also, where is the setting to set the length of the recording? Does it default to 60s, 30s, 15s? Where is the setting for this?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@QuintusPre wrote:

Also, where is the setting to set the length of the recording? Does it default to 60s, 30s, 15s? Where is the setting for this?

If your interface shows "Library", then look in the rule for the camera in the modes you are using.

If your interface shows "Feed" and "Dashboard", then go to devices, select the camera, and then the settings wheel.  You will see a control called "Default Mode Settings".  The recording length is there.

If you want different recording lengths for different modes, then go into the rules for the camera in that mode.

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you but these are all links for the old Arlo app which I loved!

I am talking about the new recording action which can be triggered by schedule. No idea how long that recording is supposed to be and there is no setting for that nor is it working.

The default mode settings are for motion triggers.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@QuintusPre wrote:

Thank you but these are all links for the old Arlo app which I loved!

To be clear, the current app supports two user interfaces - the old one (showing "Library"), and the new one (showing "Dashboard" and "Feed").  So just saying you have the "new app" doesn't really tell us which interface you are getting.

That said, only the first link was for the old "Library" interface.  The second two are for the new "Feed" interface.

In both interfaces, you schedule modes, and the recording time is determined by the rules in the modes you schedule.  With "Feed' there is also a "default Mode setting", which is a convenient way to get the same recording time (and some other settings) in all modes.

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

 Thank you again.

Can you switch between the two apps? I have the one that shows dashboard and feed. How do you switch over and why are there two kinds of apps?

Again though, I am not talking about mode changes nor record settings for motion triggers. I am talking about the scheduling option. Here is a pic of the screen that I am talking about. The time comes and goes and still no recording.

IMG_8065.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@QuintusPre wrote:

Can you switch between the two apps? I have the one that shows dashboard and feed. How do you switch over and why are there two kinds of apps?

Once again there is only one app that has two interfaces.  You can migrate from "Library" -> "Feed", but Arlo doesn't give you a way to switch back.

"Feed" was rolled out about a year ago to support Arlo's home security system.  Arlo was clearly intending to migrate all users to "Feed' quickly.  But they ran into a lot of issues, so they paused that.  They are still working on Feed, and I don't expect them to migrate everyone to it until they resolve the issues with it.  Definitely a bit mis-step by Arlo.

@QuintusPre wrote:

Again though, I am not talking about mode changes nor record settings for motion triggers. I am talking about the scheduling option. Here is a pic of the screen that I am talking about. The time comes and goes and still no recording.

Although I am on Feed, I don't schedule my own cameras, and haven't tried to set up schedules as a test.

There are others here who have gotten scheduling to work (including @jguerdat ), so hopefully they will chime in.

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the input.  I was forced into the new app (or Feed setting) because I purchased a new generation Essential. Regrettable, as I’m also having issues with geofencing and auto-mode changes now.

Would love to go back to the old app (or library setting) but that doesn’t seem to be in the cards for now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@QuintusPre wrote:

 Thank you again.

I would hazard a guess that it's not working because it still requires motion to record. I haven't tried this so can't be sure. Basically, I don't think you can schedule a recording as such.

@JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN ? Can you verify?

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

I used to do it all the time using IFTTT applets. Those worked fine. Now the IFTTT record trigger no longer works and the Arlo record schedule doesn’t work either.  There is an option to force a recording at a fixed time. What would be the point of that if it required motion to trigger? I am so frustrated by this new version of the software. If I could, I would revert back in a second.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I suggest trying to set it up from scratch with the new app and see if that helps. 

https://www.arlo.com/en_be/support/faq/1075729/What-is-IFTTT-and-how-do-I-use-it-with-my-Arlo-device

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Thank for your input.  I tried to start from scratch.  The trigger is recognized by IFTTT but the recording command does nothing.  BTW, i also tried using the scheduling option in the new app to force a recording at a fixed time and still nothing happens.  Is it possible that the recording command in the new app is simply not functioning?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This is being looked into, I will provide an update as soon. 

Nicktim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is’t able to to this anymore? Is it possible by IFTTT

1. Create a new Gmail account that will be used for IFTTT integration only

2. Set up an IFTTT account and link it to that Gmail account as well as your Arlo system

3. Go into your alarm system and set up an account (either an existing or a new "fake" account) that uses the IFTTT gmail address for notifications.

4. Set up a notification rule in your alarm system that will send an email for both the "arm" and "disarm" events

5. Review those emails to see who they come from and what the subject is.

6. Go into the IFTTT gmail account and set up two filter rules using the sample emails in #5.  Set up one called "Armed" and one called "Disarmed"

7. Now go into IFTTT and build a recipe starting with the Gmail service you linked in step #2.  As the trigger, look for the label "Armed"

8. As the action, use the Arlo service and the action "Arm"

9. Repeat steps 7 & 8 for "Disarmed"

10. Save the recipe and activate it (you can toggle the IFTTT notification on if you're building the recipe from a mobile device

Voila, you now have an IFTTT recipe that will arm/disarm your cameras when you arm/disarm the 

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

Any updates on this issue? Temporary workarounds?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Let me reach out to the development team and I will provide an update as soon as possible. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This is still currently being looked into. I will provide another update as soon as possible.