Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Shadowy
Star
Star

I'm reposting this request as the last post was locked by an Arlo admin. Basically as others kindly ask, why can't we get HomeKit Secure Video Support? 

The last post was closed by Arlo as an acceptable answer had this response: 

"Arlo does not currently plan to support Apple HomeKit Secure Video. To integrate with HomeKit Secure Video, Arlo cameras would need to share and directly record content to Apple servers allowing content to be stored in iCloud. At Arlo, we are committed to your privacy and keeping your content safe in the Arlo cloud without sharing any information with these integrations. Take a look here for more on Arlo’s commitment to your privacy: Our Privacy Pledge | Arlo "

But, since that post was closed, I'm was not able to ask why Arlo thinks HomeKit Secure Video is less secure than storing on Arlo servers. Can you elaborate? Last I checked, HomeKit Secure Video looked pretty secure to me. 

If it's nothing do with security, then be honest and just tell use it's within Arlo business strategy to allow customers to use Apple's storage and not pay Arlo for store. 

I post this as well:

Seems like a simple solution. Just charge a small premium to redirect video to a 3rd party. Call it something like "Personal Video Storage". But, make it reasonable prices since Arlo is not paying for the storage anyway. I mean, like $2-$3 camera. Saves the user money and Arlo still gets some money. Actually, it's free money for Arlo. I mean, they shouldn't charge in my opinion. But, if they do, this might work. And, you still would be offering the other features. Like package, vehicle detection and such. Alternative is going to a competitor.

Let's be honest, Arlo is priced a bit too high. Cameras are expensive and then you have to use the subscription to get anything useful.  Allowing HSV would be good step for Arlo in keeping customers. 

Anyway, hope this post doesn't just get locked and ignored. 

11 REPLIES 11
Dannybear
Master
Master
If this were to be implemented it would open up a can of worms for arlo I would imagine.

What would the android users think if they could not get almost unlimited storage for their recordings. Viewing access being limited to 30days, 60days in Europe.
Who would pay for the Apple access rights to iCloud, not arlo since they could not control it.

Food for thought.
Shadowy
Star
Star

Honestly, free money for Arlo while keeping customers. I don't see how this opens a can of worms for them.  Meaning, have an offering that allows me to use my Apple HomeKit eco systems while still giving them money. Win Win. 

Also, Android users would think....I don't have an iPhone, iPad or Mac and don't use HomeKit. I assume that is their choice to user Android. But, I'm sure they would argue other benefits to using Android as well. If there is some equivalent Android Secure Video storage solution out there, they can request this feature too. I'm just advocating for my eco system. 

And, of course, if there any charges for iCloud, that is paid for by the Apple user. Not sure why you think Arlo would be on the hook. It's part of Apple's iCloud+ plans. If I gave you the impression I want Arlo to offer a plan that funnels the access rights cost for iCloud through them, then that is not what I meant at all. Instead, I proposed that Arlo offers a plan that allows you to use Apple HomeKit Secure Video storage. And, still get money. I only suggest this as I'm sure the only reason Arlo doesn't support this is because of the fear of losing the revenue for their cloud offering. I personally think they should support it without a cost. But, if they have to get some money out of it, I'm proposing a reduce cost to cover higher level features that they charge you for today. 

Keep in mind, others already support this and seem to be doing just fine. My friend a competitor camera and it's working great using HomeKit Secure Video. 

schneida
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo's attitude is unfortunate and unsustainable. Without support for Apple Homekit Secure Video, sooner or later customers will replace their Arlo Subscription and (in my case) the 5 Arlo Ultra cameras with ones that support the feature. It's all about having everything under one roof. Too bad for the very good quality of the cameras.

Best thanks for bringing this to your attention.

Kind regards from Switzerland.

kuen-yang
Initiate
Initiate

Please provide a full support for Homekit security video, instead of claiming to support Homekit but only providing partial functions, this is suspected of deceiving consumers

rellyrell04
Initiate
Initiate

Totally agree here. Arlo you made profit off of the camera purchase; allow us to save our data in our cloud of choice.

jcraven
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased the Arlo Pro Smart Hub and Wired Video Doorbell to replace a 5+ year old Nest doorbell. The main reason I chose Arlo was because of their Homekit support. I didn't realize at the time of purchase that HomeKit Secure Video was not included in that support. Without HSV, the integration is mostly useless. You lose out on activity zones, facial recognition, and of course recording when using Apple Home.

I know there are multiple other threads with this same discussion, but I just wanted to make it known that I boxed the hardware back up and returned it. It's unfortunate, because it seems to work well, but it doesn't fit my needs. I had also planned to buy a couple other cameras to place around the house, but I'll choose a vendor with full HSV support instead.

AlvarezRaul13
Initiate
Initiate

That’s unfair they donde support Apple secure video! That was one of the reason I chose Arlo because of their amazing price winning cameras! I really think it’s bs cause they have costumers in other countries like me in Mexico where they don’t have plans to storage video, they are just greedy and don’t want to lose all those people who would stop paying them eventually! I’ll just have to throw my cameras to the garbage! 

kevinchristian
Initiate
Initiate

I'm in agreement... Although, the cameras are fantastic, I did pay a premium for them. As time goes on, there are many viable replacements that will allow me to use my subscription(s) to icloud to save money, which these days, I am looking to save $$ any where I can.

Thank You

Cottenboy
Initiate
Initiate

I agree! Arlo, step aside, let apple run the show.

miguelcma
Guide
Guide

I'm getting rid of ALL my Arlo cameras today for this exact same reason. Unfortunately I can't get a refund because they have months or years, but I'm selling them and moving to another 2 brands that support Homekit Secure Video. I know why Arlo doesn't want to support Homekit Secure Video. It's simple: because it goes against their business model of selling the montlhy subscription. But this is stupid. They should be ONLY focused on selling the best hardware as possible and let Apple do the rest. It's a pitty, really, becase Arlo's hardware is the best. The quailty of cameras image is amazing. But Arlo software? It really sucks. Sluggish, buggy and lack of good Homekit integartion. Yes, buggy, I use Arlo for 5+ years and the software is terrible, slow, Homekit suddently stops working and they don't fix it, very very laggy, the stream takes 10+ seconds to open while Homekit Secure Video takes 1 second, etc etc. Worst of all: They don't allow to manually access the stream via RTSP or similar (!!). They're completely closed in their (outdated) environment. Arlo going IPO was probably the best for the investors but the worst for the customers. I'm tired. And honestly? I used the be the best Arlo ambassador. Believe me. And today I quit Arlo with quite sadness.

miguelcma
Guide
Guide

The funny part of all of this is that I would happily pay for the Arlo subscription at the same time i Use Apple Secure Video. So, in fact, supporting this would not affect nor privacy (if we don't trust Apple, we don't trust anyone) nor your business model (because I would still pay for it).