Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Basestation local storage USB stop working

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
LC7
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Basestation (VMB 4000) local storage has been working fine until about 1 week ago. Just found out an alert that the USB requires formatting and local storage was automatically turned off.  I checked the record file in there, which were up to 8/21/2023. All cameras recorded well and files were all fine.  The USB memory has about 40% unused.  Questions are

1) Why the alert of requiring format came up?

2) How to resolve the issue?

3) Where can I find the button to release the USB from Basestation?  It was there in the setting for local recording before, but now I can't find it to safely release the USB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1 and 2) The file system may have been corrupted for some reason (maybe a power outage or base reboot in the middle of recording?). A file system check on a computer may resolve this, otherwise, copy any desired files off the drive and reformat it. If that fails, you may have a faulty drive.

3) There's no release button. There is a selection in the base settings for local recording to safely eject the drive which unmounts the drive so the file system isn't damaged by simply yanking the drive out.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1 and 2) The file system may have been corrupted for some reason (maybe a power outage or base reboot in the middle of recording?). A file system check on a computer may resolve this, otherwise, copy any desired files off the drive and reformat it. If that fails, you may have a faulty drive.

3) There's no release button. There is a selection in the base settings for local recording to safely eject the drive which unmounts the drive so the file system isn't damaged by simply yanking the drive out.

LC7
Aspirant
Aspirant

After formatting the USB, issue resolved😊.  The selection to safely eject USB function / button only shows up with good UBS.