Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
k_d
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can see video on my Google Home devices from the wireless doorbell, but no chime activity when the doorbell is pressed. Is there supposed to be ability to chime on connected Google devices? I read in another post that Alexa chime integration is planned. Google as well?

Alternatively, can Arlo chimes be used with the Wireless Video Doorbell? 

Thank you

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

k_d,

We're aware of this issue and are working on releasing an update that will allow full integration with Google Home devices. I will provide more information once the update is available.

JamesC

chaitea007
Initiate
Initiate

I bought the Arlo Video Doorbell Wire-Free and a Google Nest Hub Max assuming it would work together. After doorbell setup, the video doorbell works on the Arlo app on my Android phone, as well as the Google Home app on my Android phone.

However, it does not work on my Google Nest Hub Max. I get a black screen error that says "The camera stream cannot be played right now" and nothing shows up. 

Also, given that this issue is fixable, will there be future features where motion on the doorbell triggers the camera to display a live feed automatically on the Google Nest Hub Max? I originally thought this was possible similar to how the Google Nest Hello automatically displays a live video feed on the Google Nest Hub Max whenever motion is detected rather than remembering to manually open the camera every time someone is at the door.

--Tony

k_d
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's great news. I know that you would be hesitant to give a release timeline but could you offer a ballpark on when this functionality might be available? Is it actively being developed or just on the roadmap? I just need to know how much effort to put into a workaround.

Thank you in advance.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

k_d,

The certification is being tested now. I'm not able to provide an ETA but it shouldn't be too much longer before it's available.

JamesC

abeier
Star
Star

Hi JamesC,

Has this been developed and resolved?  In the settings on Google Home I have set it to voice notifications and can view the camera feed. However a chime is not present when the doorbell is pressed?

Regards

k_d
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not sure if my workaround caused the integration to start working or if Arlo pushed an update, but my workaround was to add a base station and some wireless chimes. After doing that, the chimes ring when the doorbell is pressed and all of my Google Home devices announce that there is a person at the [doorname] door. Seems to be working as I expected, but not sure if it reliant on the base station.

abeier
Star
Star

Hi JamesC,

Just following up on the below query.....

Has this been developed and resolved?  In the settings on Google Home I have set it to voice notifications and can view the camera feed. However a chime is not present when the doorbell is pressed?

Regards

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

abeier,

Google Assistant will announce when the doorbell is pressed. Do you have a chime connected as well?

JamesC

abeier
Star
Star
Hi JamesC,

No we do not have an Arlo Chime. My understanding too was that our Google Home Hub would notify us when the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire Less would be pressed.

Currently it does not. Can you suggest why it is not notifying us. We have paired our Arlo Account and we can view the camero on the Google Home Hub?

Regards
abeier
Star
Star
Hi JamesC,

I have come across the issue why you can not set up the digital notification for Google Nest Devices.

It is in the initial set up of the video doorbell, via the ‘add device’ steps on the Arlo process. When you go through the initial Video Doorbell Wire Less steps to add the device to your Arlo account, and once you connect the device to your wifi and it checks for updates, you have a choice of battery (wireless) or wired connection.

If you choose wired connection you get to A step in the set up for ‘Traditional Chime’ and you can select ‘Digital’ which will provide the required setting to allow notifications to Google Nest devices. Problem solved.

However, if you select battery (wireless) it does not go to the ‘Traditional Chime’ step and you can not select ‘Digital’ and will always be ‘Not Connected’ in the settings.

Can you advise the developers that it should have the option, in the battery (wireless) setup, to choose to have ‘digital’ as the settings for ‘Traditional Chime’. Then you can connect the doorbell to Google Home and allow digital notification to be active on Google ‘Nest’ devices.

At the moment I have my Arlo Essentials Video Doorbell Wireless set up as a wired doorbell in the Arlo app to allow the choice of ‘Digital’ in the ‘Traditional Chime’ options. This allows the notification on my Google Nest devices when the door bell is pressed.

Regards
abeier
Star
Star

Hi JamesC,

Have you provided this work around to the developers and for them to consider fixing the installation procedure for the battery version of the doorbell installation to include the options for the ‘Traditional Chime’ to be managed to ‘Digital’?

Regards

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

abeier,

I'll pass your feedback along to the development team.

JamesC

nickmurley
Initiate
Initiate

Has this been resolved yet? I am using a workaround of setting up my wireless doorbell as wired so that I can use Google Home as chime, but this crushes my battery life (2 week life...)

A_erbe
Initiate
Initiate
Has there been an update for this? I have a Google nest hub and the wireless doorbell with a camera. I installed the doorbell without any major issues. however it took me some trouble shooting to have it pull up on my hub screen when I asked it to. I changed the video quality settings and that worked once then it went back to not working.

I also tried to activate digital chimes so my Google nest/minis would let me know when the doorbell was pressed but I could only changed the setting of I completely removed the device from my arlo app as wireless and had to add it back as wired. I've noticed this is draining the battery rapidly.

Is there an update on what I can do to have the most optimized setup?
nickmurley
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same problem and have not seen an upgrade. It is like a major, impactful issue that seriously affects my day to day use. Please fix @Arlo
ACCAU
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

Has this problem with the Digital Chime been resolved?

I've 2 Google Mini and 1 Google HUB. I've recently installed my Doorbell (battery installation) and the Google Mini devices now receive notifications when doorbell rings. But the Google Hub doesn't. I can ask google HUB to show me the video feed from the doorbell but it will not announce doorbell ring.

Any solution for that?

Regards,

Ackis1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, did you choose wireless or wired when you installed it ?
febbre
Tutor
Tutor

I don't understand if it is possible to use google nest hub as a chime for Arlo wirefree doorbell or not. And if so, how?

febbre
Tutor
Tutor

How is it possible to connfigure google nest hub to announce when arlo essential doorbell is pressed? This information is not present in the FAQs, it seems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

febbre,

For more information on integrating your Arlo device with Google, take a look here: How do I connect my Arlo cameras to Google Home or Google Assistant?

JamesC

febbre
Tutor
Tutor

That FAQ page is not sufficient. It doesn't explain how to set Google Nest Hub to show Arlo doorbell annoucements when someone presses the bel lbutton.

chrisashay1983
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can't get mine to be found since I tried selecting wired
RidingOnEggshel
Initiate
Initiate
Stestaz
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all, any news? I’ve tried with the workaround but my google home device doesn’t ring when doorbell is pressed