Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motion detection lag

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
user33
Aspirant
Aspirant

The recording lag on outdoor Arlos makes these almost useless in many situations as the object triggering the recording is out of frame before the recording begins.  Why doesn't Netgear develop a motion detection device to use with rules to trigger a camera to overcome the lag problem?  I.e., why do I have to "waste" an expensive camera just to trigger another one?  Coudn't Netgear develop/sell  a motion detection device -- at a cheaper price than another camera -- that could be optimally located to trigger recording?  Wouldn't this solve the lag issue and also improve the motion detection coverage as the device could be positioned for motion not viewing angle?  I know Netgear would rather sell expensive cameras but this system is useless with this lag as subjects are often out of frame before the recording begins.

4 REPLIES 4
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

You might want to try searching on this topic. It's been discussed many times.

user33
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have searched and have seen several threads re lag and setting up cameras to improve motion detection, etc. but have not found a thread re a triggering device (not using another camera) and rules to improve motion coverage and eliminating lag.  None of the threads I see solve this problem and it does make the outdoor cameras somewhat useless in certain situations/locations as they do not begin recording fast enough to catch the object or person triggering the clip even if set up optimally.  The multiple previoius threads seem to confirm that this is a problem that has not been solved.  Am I missing something or are you just referring to these generic "lag" threads?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The issue is almost always a positioning or WiFi one. Properly aiming the camera to NOT catch the whole scene but only the actual area of concern, with motion across the FOV, starting at an edge works well. The cameras are wide enough of an angle to get useful videos. I have a lag of maybe 2 seconds on all my cameras, Pro and original.

Post screenshots for suggestions.
mitchellbrand
Star
Star
Yes it would be very nice to be able to trigger recording from one of my smartthings connected motion sensors. This way I could have the recoding started already when the subject reaches the camera. With my smartthings setup I can have the motion detector on the Arlo pro camera perform things on my smartthings system(like turn outside lights on) but I am not able to have my smartthings system tell the camera to do something.(like record)