Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Upgrading base station from original netgear vmb3000

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
RitchyJames
Follower
Follower

Hi - I have an older system (still working great) - the original netgear vmb3000 with 5 cameras.  I was wanting to add a couple of outdoor cameras and see limited options with my base station.  Is it possible to upgrade the base statation and keep the current cameras working with the new base?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. It's only the VMB3xxx bases that don't support the newer cameras. Buying a SmartHub (VMB4540 or 5000) would help future-proof your system.

Also, be aware that many of the newest cameras can connect directly to your WiFi, eliminating the need for a base or hub. You will need to maintain a purchased plan for those cameras since they will only have cloud recordings while if using a hub with local recordings configured you could get away with only local recordings for them. The old cameras still have the free 7 day plan but the new cameras all require subscriptions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. It's only the VMB3xxx bases that don't support the newer cameras. Buying a SmartHub (VMB4540 or 5000) would help future-proof your system.

Also, be aware that many of the newest cameras can connect directly to your WiFi, eliminating the need for a base or hub. You will need to maintain a purchased plan for those cameras since they will only have cloud recordings while if using a hub with local recordings configured you could get away with only local recordings for them. The old cameras still have the free 7 day plan but the new cameras all require subscriptions.