Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar panel charger mounting on North building face, with panel pointing south

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ecwhitby
Tutor
Tutor

I want to install a solar panel charger on the North side of my house, and have the panel face South.  From what I can see online, the solar panel assembly cannot do that, ans Arlo provides no guidance. 

Has anyone determined how to make such an installation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ecwhitby
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks: I never could figure out how to post photos. I gave up and installed solar charher with a wood bracket extending above the roof.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ecwhitby wrote:

I want to install a solar panel charger on the North side of my house, and have the panel face South. 

The panel has to be close to the camera - the cable is only about 8 feet.

Some third-party panels might have longer cables - but not a whole lot longer.  There's too much voltage drop (e.g. power loss) in the cable to get a really long run.  (Arlo doesn't support third-party panels, and I haven't used one - so this is not a recommendation).

ecwhitby
Tutor
Tutor

Understood.  I was hoping for a way to mount the Arlo solar charger on the North face, with panel facing south. A custom bracket or adapter.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ecwhitby wrote:

Understood.  I was hoping for a way to mount the Arlo solar charger on the North face, with panel facing south. A custom bracket or adapter.

The panel has it's own mount (separate from the camera mount).  So as long as the cable reaches the camera, you can do this.

ecwhitby
Tutor
Tutor

I know that the solar charger has it's own mount. I see nothing in the solar charger product literature that makes me believe that the bracket can be fastened to a North facing vertical surface and have the panel face South. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ecwhitby wrote:

I see nothing in the solar charger product literature that makes me believe that the bracket can be fastened to a North facing vertical surface and have the panel face South. 

I am confused on what you are asking.  Maybe a photo or diagram would help.

But the mounts use a standard screw thread, so any third party mount should be compatible.

ecwhitby
Tutor
Tutor

Trying to attach sketch, to no avail.  😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ecwhitby wrote:

Trying to attach sketch, to no avail.  😞

jpg/jpeg and png should both work.

ecwhitby
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks: I never could figure out how to post photos. I gave up and installed solar charher with a wood bracket extending above the roof.