Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Cmyaskov
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got my aunt an Arlo camera and doorbell.  They worked great and she would see any recordings in her library in the app.  About a month ago, her recordings stopped being saved in her library.  She is worried she needs a subscription.  

Is that true? Does she need a subscription to keep recordings in her library? She does NOT have a base, she runs the cameras off her WiFi.  It is weird because we had issue and all of sudden nothing will save in her library.   

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Yes a subscription plan is required after the trial subscription plan expires to have recordings saved to the arlo cloud storage.

Cmyaskov
Aspirant
Aspirant

What if she gets a base? She wouldn’t need a subscription to see her videos in her library.  

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Cmyaskov ,

If she installs a vmb4540 or vmb5000 and implements the backup storage with a storage device then she would need to go the the base station settings of the app to access the triggered recordings listed as file names and download them to the mobile device for viewing. They will not appear in the arlo app’s library so no thumbnails will show.

There are numerous limitations using this workaround which I believe makes it less attractive for the less technical user.

For me I have the pro2 cameras that retain the arlo free 7 days cloud storage at least until arlo decides again to EOL the cloud storage service again.

That day when it comes will determine what brand I purchase going forward.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

There are numerous limitations using this workaround which I believe makes it less attractive for the less technical user.

@Cmyaskov - fully agree that it offers a poor user experience.  Also the subscription covers more than just the cloud storage.  She would also lose activity zones and smart notifications.  Activity zones are sometimes required for the doorbell, since its camera cannot be aimed.

Details are here:

The limitations include

• recordings only available from the primary account (not from shared "friend" accounts)
  • recordings only available from the app - not from a PC (my.arlo.com)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to the phone before anything can be seen.
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).