Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

TheMayor207
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using the same email address for a few years. 5pm yesterday my email alerts stopped. Push alerts are still working fine. I have verified my email address, cycled email alerts on and off, restarted my base station etc. 

nothing is working 

Best answers
421 REPLIES 421
BDC2023
Star
Star

Do you know if Arlo plans on making a New Year's resolution to bring back email notifications?  It would be great if there was an update to actually invoke a "feature" the customer wants.

kaufmath
Initiate
Initiate

Add my name to 'Done with Arlo'.  without email alerts, the system we paid like $500 for is worthless.  A single 'ding' notification in the middle of the night isn't enough for a security system to wake you up.  We will buy from your competitors, Arlo.  Poor choice.  Why not listen to your customers and bring this critical feature back?

Rrlo
Guide
Guide

I just discovered that Arlo ended email notifications, which appears to have rendered Arlo useless for me since I need web browser notifications (it's the reason I chose Arlo).

However, before I move on to another service, I notice there's an option in settings for "Desktop Notfications". I enabled that and allowed access to in my browser. But I still don't receive any Desktop Notifications for motion detection. Am I supposed to receive notifications in my browser, or am I misunderstanding what "Desktop Notifications" are?

Under the motion detection settings, for "How would you like to be notified", I only see one option: "Push Notifications" (phone). Am I supposed to be able to select "Desktop Notifications"? I don't see anything for that.

Hope someone can help with this. I made a big investment in Arlo cameras. Really hope they're not worthless.

lywaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't believe anyone at Arlo who can decide anything is reading these messages.

My advice is, if it works for you, cancel the Arlo Secure subscription (mine was about $13/ month), and say the reason is lack of email. This is the only thing they'll understand, people canceling.

4 of my 5 cameras are old enough that I'm supposed to get free 7 day cloud storage on them, I only have one that is hosed and I'll replace it with something else. (The fact that I was paying for all 5 was dumb anyway... should have gone back to only 1 when they backtracked on saying the subscription was required for all of them.)

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

https://www.arlo.com/en_gb/support/faq/customer-care/what-are-desktop-notifications-and-how-do-i-ena...

Have not tried this myself single it is pointless.

I am waiting for atlo email notifications to return.

Rrlo
Guide
Guide

Yeah, I tried those instructions -- the "Desktop Notifications" still don't work.

Thanks though.

Without email notification, looks like Arlo is over for me 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rrlo wrote:

Yeah, I tried those instructions -- the "Desktop Notifications" still don't work.

If you have your phone with you (and also use Windows 11) you could try the phone link feature in Windows.  Then notifications will show up on the PC.

FYI, I agree that they shouldn't have removed the email notifications.

NR46
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo sold these products together with email alert notifications. Now Arlo state that they have an EOL policy. Ie end of life policy. This policy states that email alerts have been removed. There is a legal debate here however it could be that from a legal perspective Arlo must take back these products and apply a full refund. I suggest that everyone on this thread raises a support ticket demanding that email alerts are reinstated or a full refund should be applied. Good luck 

HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

I filed a warranty claim, making the point that the product no longer performed as it was supposed to because they had disabled a key feature. In effect, I was saying that removing that feature rendered the product defective. We exchanged about a dozen notes, but my claim went nowhere.

Fascinatingfee
Guide
Guide

Apple have come to the party -now you can select default os tone and in IOS 17.3 beta you can now choose any  tone or song as a default -means you will have to change all the other apps but at least you will now get woken up .. IMG_5620.jpegIMG_5621.jpeg

SNClocks
Initiate
Initiate

I have to admit cancelling e-mail notifications is just plain dumb.

Hallelujah
Star
Star

Perhaps you can now ask Arlo to stop taking my case as a 'priority' as not a word since your request from anyone at Arlo (is there anyone there actually ?) ... I am now using Smartthings to automate the arm/disarm process ... that at least knows where I and my household members at any time are and reliably manages multiple camera on/off cycles ... god only knows what Arlo think they are doing with what was - once - a good security system.

TreasureB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hallelujah, I would love more info or tips on how to setup /use the Smartthings you mentioned above. It appears to be on my Android phone but I've never tried it for the Arlo notifications

Hallelujah
Star
Star

@TreasureB ...use ST to set up auto routines for when all members leave (Away/Arm) or any member returns (Home.Disarm).  You can't set the app mode (i.e. Arm/Disarm) but you can control the cameras individually to turn OFF (if at home) or ON when away.  I have ST also connected to Alexa so all devices are available when ST, Alex and Arlo skills are enabled ... good luck with the config!

Alouis
Tutor
Tutor

This is a significant loss in the value that Arlo did bring, I really cannot think of a good reason to put this functionality to EOL. Combined with the low volume and short sound in iOS17 the alarm has become close to worthless as it does not wake me up. I used to have the e-mail notification marked as VIP mail with a dedicated sound. 

My work around now is using IFTTT. I must say integration with Arlo is great and it allows me to receive e-mail notifications again and even a call through the IFTTT app. However this is costing me an additional $40 per year.

TUKhS5Ays4Ez
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changing label

Arlo really screwed many people by eliminating email alerts.  Now I either get woken up at night, or do not get notifications.  Does anyone now how to setup Arlo app and do not disturb settings so that I hear sound when do not disturb is not on, and only receive a popup with no sound when do not disturb is enabled.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TUKhS5Ays4Ez wrote:

Does anyone now how to setup Arlo app and do not disturb settings so that I hear sound when do not disturb is not on, and only receive a popup with no sound when do not disturb is enabled.

iPhone or Android???

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just put new reviews up on Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart and Costco warning potential customers that the features they are paying a premium price for may not be around in a year or 2 and that Arlo is not to be trusted under any circumstance. I suggest anyone who feels ripped of by these crooks do the same.

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nice.   I’m still leaving bad reviews too.  I feel certain they aren’t bringing email notifications back, but I want to warn others about this company.   

Fascinatingfee
Guide
Guide

I’ve noticed now that they have added an option in the iOS app to select default notification- and now Apple allow custom notifications so I can now have a very loud very long sound / song /tone - I chose “wake me up “ song 😂😂and now the notification happens very promptly, faster than the email process and is long and loud enough to wake me up !!! 

Efthos
Star
Star

Unfortunately, there are many who do not have Apple phones, so this option is of no help.  Perhaps something will be done for Android phones, though email alerts are still the preferable choice.  Shame on Arlo.

BGOSNZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just got one asking me to rate the support experience, I have never before rated anyone or anything at 0 or 1 and everywhere I was able to add a comment I wrote. Restore the e mail feature. 

Dinostones
Star
Star

We NEED the email alerts. End of Story !!!

SNClocks
Initiate
Initiate

It is pathetic that Arlo is apathetic enough to not understand the befit to its users.  Pathetic.

TUKhS5Ays4Ez
Apprentice
Apprentice

Android