Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

TheMayor207
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using the same email address for a few years. 5pm yesterday my email alerts stopped. Push alerts are still working fine. I have verified my email address, cycled email alerts on and off, restarted my base station etc. 

nothing is working 

Best answers
421 REPLIES 421
Dinostones
Star
Star

Nice, but IFTTT is useless for multiple locations.

#ARLO Bring back email alerts!

Dinostones
Star
Star

IFTTT is useless for multiple locations.

Dinostones
Star
Star

Ya. I'm an IT guy who knows the decision to remove email alerts was the least user friendly move that Arlo could have made. #ARLO Bring back email alerts!

Dinostones
Star
Star

I'm with you!

I've spent a ton of time and money on #ARLO products, while enduring their growing pains with constant reboots, cameras that went bad or didn't work all the time even right out of the shipping box, to get to a pointr where the systems were fairly stable.

Then POOF! No more email alerts! The bread and butter of my security needs.

Dinostones
Star
Star

Dinostones
Star
Star

IFTTT is useless for multiple locations.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Complaining here is useless.  They have clearly shown by their actions that they are only interested in their bottom line.  The only chance to reverse this decision is to hit them in that bottom line.  Go to your Nextdoor accounts, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and whatever Social Media you use and spread the word that this company is not to be trusted and not to buy their products.

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agree.  Im trolling them hard on Facebook and have posted negative Amazon reviews.   I’m done with Arlo, but I want to warn others before they waste money too.  

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am going to try to post this information on the Best Buy and Amazon sites, but I imagine it will be taken down quickly.  

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

you need to email investors@arlo.com tell them the issue

and The CEO is Matthew McRae on twitter X etc.

they need to know that people are discussing leaving and providing alternative systems

competing with Arlo....this will cost them customers..

also a dissatisfied customer statistically will tell 10 people about their dissatisfaction.

this worked back in 2020 when they took away the preview pane in the emails

they brought it back for us !      squeaky wheel gets the grease....

Customer1001
Initiate
Initiate

Although the Arlo ads are from no_reply there is an option to reply at the end of the email. Perhaps a few thousand emails back to the Sales department would help get some attention!

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry I had to hijack your post to reply to the Arlo "Community Manager as his post does not have a reply button (surprise suprise).

James C (Arlo Community Manager ) Posted:

The Email alerts feature is at end of life and will no longer be supported.

You can read more about the Arlo end of life policy here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

JamesC

So will Arlo be giving rebates to customers who bought the system because this feature was offered?  As many have pointed out this was the sole reason they went with Arlo and not one of your competitors so you arbitrarily removing this feature makes them pretty much worthless.  

Hckyguy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

With all of these unhappy people here who feel they have been cheated, this would make a great class action lawsuit.   

BDC2023
Star
Star

Since leaving the secure plan, did you have any masked areas setup for the cameras, so they ignored specific areas of movement?  If you did, they may have been deleted and that would cause more activities to be recorded since there is motion being detected in other areas of the camera views.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

BDC2023
Star
Star

From JCC60:

"

You must have jumped to the end of the thread.  Arlo no longer sends email alerts for motion detection.  They have screwed every customer they have."

No, I did not jump to the end of the thread.  This was its own thread, and someone took the liberty of merging this here.

frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

This USED to be a good company - back in the beginning.  This is just another example of the horrible decisions that are far from customer focused. 

Additionally, no advanced notification - at least not for the average user.

Unfortunately, Arlo isn't the only company offering services that they then scale back or remove after large investments in their technology.  However, they do continue to prove that they will do it over and over again without any remorse.  Bye Arlo!

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Make sure you let their retail outlets know what you think.  Here you are preaching to the choir.  Posting accurate reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart etc will let other people know that the features on the products they are considering buying may not be there in a few months/years and that they will have wasted their money.  Also let them know that the people at Arlo have not shown the slightest intention of engaging with their customers, prefering to take the old "Hide out until this blows over" approach to customer service.

jdearm2
Guide
Guide

I guess I didn't read the EOL stuff well enough several months ago.  I though all discontinued service was related to older legacy devices without subscription.  I swear I didn't notice the Email Alert Functionality as a service was to be discontinued completely on everything.  God, I wish I would have known that before I bought 5 new Essential  cameras, and went ahead and finally purchased an annual subscription to keep things going (I thought).  It is almost like they wanted you to think if you just got a subscription you would be ok, without warning you well enough about the Email stoppage.

God I hate Arlo right now.

DWitcher
Initiate
Initiate

I will also be shopping for a new camera security system this weekend. My cameras are approximately 3 months old, but they are virtually worthless without email notifications. The app sends maybe 1 notification for every 5 motion events, worthless.

lywaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I went on to Amazon today, picked an Arlo camera, and checked out the reviews ... many of you have been writing about the email issue. I added my own review. Not sure how long those reviews will stay up, but worth a try. Next stop, Best Buy.

HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

The fact that Arlo has not bothered to address the concerns expressed in this discussion (despite the hundreds of noted posted here) suggests to me that the decision is irreversible, which is sad, because I really like my Arlo system. (I bought it less than a year ago, which makes the situation especially frustrating.) I assume it was a purely economic decision and one they don't feel they can reverse without inflicting serious economic harm on the company. This is scary, because it suggests that the company is not doing well and might not survive -- and I've researched the alternatives and am not happy with any of them. 😥

On the other hand, maybe I'm just a pessimist and they'll restore email notifications later this month. (Merry Christmas! 😎)

lywaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Corporate finances aside...I really fail to see how eliminating email saves them money. Running an email server isn't hard. Neither does limiting push notifications make any sense. If you can send one, you can send two!

The pessimist in me thinks they'll offer these features again soon, at an increased subscription rate. No thanks. 

I'm playing with a light bulb camera. It's cheap ($45), doesn't do email, placement makes it easier for someone to steal it, but the pushes work. Buys me a little time while I look at other options. 

HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sending a text-based email is cheap, including a graphic in the email is less cheap. When they tried to eliminate the graphic half a year ago, they got so much flak that they restored it. I'm guessing that they no longer wish to bear the cost of emails that include graphics, and they've learned that they'd get complaints if they tried to save money by eliminating the graphic -- so they said what the , people are going to complain anyway, so let's just get rid of the whole thing.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Funny how they don't have any problem spamming my email inbox with sales and promotions.. They can afford that but sending alerts to customers who may be in the middle of a house break in is deemed too expensive for them to continue.

Then send an email alert with a link to the graphic, and the graphic has a link to the video.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.