Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I have installed a WiFi extender. How do I shift to the -EXT2.4G stronger signal?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Wazup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible (and how) to select the new and stronger WiFi extender channel?  When I initially set up our system, there was only one 2.4G channel.  Now with the extender (had to purchase) I would like to shift to the one with the better signal.

Thank you for your time.

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wazup wrote:

Is it possible (and how) to select the new and stronger WiFi extender channel?  When I initially set up our system, there was only one 2.4G channel.  Now with the extender (had to purchase) I would like to shift to the one with the better signal.

Are you talking about extending the wifi from the Arlo base?  That won't work - the wifi is closed, and can only be accessed by the cameras.

Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

It appears that I will need to connect the Ethernet cable from the Arlo base unit to the WiFi extender unit.  Basically,   the WiFi extender becomes the new router (that is extending the signal from my house modem/router) Not sure if I will need to reset to factory setting on the base unit or just search for the new WiFi option on the base unit.??? ... and then tie the cameras to the new WiFi address.  It has been some time since my initial setup.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Michael2016 wrote:

It appears that I will need to connect the Ethernet cable from the Arlo base unit to the WiFi extender unit.  

That will work.  You pair the extender to your home wifi router.  When that is done, you can test the extender setup by connecting to the extender network with a laptop or phone (turning off mobile data).  Or if you have a laptop with an ethernet port, you could connect the laptop to an extender LAN port.

@Michael2016 wrote:

Not sure if I will need to reset to factory setting on the base unit or just search for the new WiFi option on the base unit.??? .

Neither.  After you connect the extender to your home wifi, just move the base to the extender LAN port and power it up.

Wazup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some positives and some negatives. 

Connected the Arlo base unit to the WiFi EXTENDER with the Ethernet cable.  While I was able to tie the outdoor legacy cameras to the new extender wifi (xxx-EXT2G), the legacy ARLO Q refused to acknowledge the new extender wifi xxx-EXT2G.   

Further information.  When trying to sync the the Q, ( I did the forget this device and add a new device) it would never give me a chime when exposing the camera to the SQR code.  Had to shift back to the weaker wifi and it still would not chime....multiple attempts.  Eventually, I just moved on without the chime and the Q reestablished to the old weaker wifi.  (????)   Maybe I should just move on after not receiving the chime when I try to connect to the extender. (?)

Maybe on another day.  Sad face. 

Wazup
Aspirant
Aspirant

AND THEN about an hour later .... I was sitting around and decided to try to attach the Q to the extender 2.4G service....It worked. (?)  The Q even chimed.  Go figure.  I did not do anything different.  Cannot explain that one.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wazup wrote:

the legacy ARLO Q refused to acknowledge the new extender wifi xxx-EXT2G.   

You didn't mention a Q in the earlier post, so I assumed all your cameras were connected through the base.

Wazup
Aspirant
Aspirant

At first I was focused on the outside remote battery operated cameras. The Q was tied later.  NOW this morning, I could not reach the Q to disarm the system.  The Q only indicated 'getting information'.  Discovered that my phone had an update for the app.  Uploaded the update.  The Q remains on 'getting information'.  I can turn on the Q camera and watch the live feed but I cannot arm or disarm the Q.  Units on the base station are working as they should.  I shifted to the lower quality wifi but that did not help.   I guess I had no Arlo Q protections last night.   

What did Arlo do to the Q cameras in the update? 

Again, the Q remains in 'getting information' mode.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

For further assistance please contact support. You do this by going to the support area of the app (not my.arlo.com) and selecting a camera in a subscription plan. Scroll down to the contact section, and you will see an option for phone support. It is available between 6 am to 6 pm US PST.