Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Hub Will Not Connect

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
goldenchrisd
Follower
Follower

My VMB4000 is now not connecting to my account. Has been working great for several years. Tried re-setting including factory re-set and nothing working. Any advice?

31 REPLIES 31
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What do the LEDs show on the Base station?

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

Had you removed the base station from your account before you factory reset the base station?

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some of my camera's stopped working, so I removed the hub from my account.

Now I can't reconnect the hub (VMB5000) to the account.

Did anyone figure this out? I have hard reset multiple times. I have the hub connected directly to the router.

The system has been working for several years until a couple days ago.

Customer support is unable to help!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Try a factory reset but ensure you remove the hub from your account beforehand.

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

If still no joy getting it added, use a desktop pc connected to the local network router and   use the website login to find the hub.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried this multiple times, soft reset, hard reset, new router with only the hub connected. They now say it's because ports 80 and 443 cannot be opened from the outside. I don't believe this is the case because it was just working, but I asked my ISP to open those ports. If 80 & 443 were not open I would not be able to HTTP and HTTPS. I've also tried using a desktop. The last I remembered seeing was it was wanting to do a firmware update on my cameras (I didn't update them).

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Do you have a ultra2 camera, arlo stuffed up a update recently that had to be repaired.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I have the Ultra 2 cameras which were the ones going offline. My older cameras worked fine. I removed the hub from my system because of the cameras and now the hub won't reconnect. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

See a recent discussion link below regards the ultra2 issue.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra-2/Arlo-Ultra-2-cameras-offline-issue-seems-remedied-mine-ar... 

Since your hub is unable to be found it likely won’t help you.

It is also possible that the base has been bricked by an update so suggest asking for arlo customer support, look at the support options in the arlo mobile app.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I haven't gotten far enough to connect the cameras.

I'll try an old Arlo hub that wasn't connected and see if it will connect.

Arlo support says to try this site (https://ping.eu/port-chk) and see if ports 80 and 443 show open. Mine show closed and always have. 

Do other people show these as open when the ports are pinged from the outside?

If they weren't open I couldn't use HTTP and HTTPS

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have reached out several times to Arlo support. After spending several hours the only thing they have me do is keep resetting the hub and trying again.

Ports 443 & 80 show closed when pinged from the outside (https://ping.eu/port-chk/), so they say there is nothing more they can do to help.

My ISP created a DMZ and opened the ports, but says this is very unusual and they have several other customers that use Arlo cameras with no problems.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You will need to reach out to support to have them further look into this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The remote port check just checks for incoming connections while Arlo is using what your computer and phone use - outgoing. Those ports should be closed for incoming requests.

While it usually isn't needed, the router could be set to block certain devices from using those ports or just close them altogether. Because you're posting here, the ports are open but it may still be useful to check the router settings. Prior to doing that, however, reboot your router and base, in that order, to see if that helps.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo support is not able to help, I have spent several hours on chat with them and all they know to do is reset the hub.

I have tried using a different router set to factory settings and only the hub and PC were connected.

My ISP says the ports are open.

My next step will be to try it at a friends house who is using a different ISP.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried using a different router that I reset to factory settings and only connected the hub and PC.

I have tried connecting the PC directly to the router (ethernet).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KevinH12 wrote:

Ports 443 & 80 show closed when pinged from the outside (https://ping.eu/port-chk/), so they say there is nothing more they can do to help.

The hub only makes outbound connections to the Arlo cloud.  Web browsing uses the same ports, so if that works the issue isn't with the ports. 

Have you tried adding the hub back with a PC (my.arlo.com)?  Or only with the phone?

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve tried PC, iPhone, PC hooked directly to router with Ethernet cable. I’ve tried using a different router reset to default settings with only the hub,PC, and iPhone connected.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m wondering if the hub is able to get to the Arlo cloud? It’s probably not the same address as the Arlo account.

Does anyone know what the traffic should look like?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Were you able to use that friend's network with a different ISP? If so, did it help?

FWIW, I had a similar problem where I was setting up a new installation and the base couldn't be found. I checked with the ISP (the same one I use) with no luck. Using a different base solved the problem.

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't used my friends network yet (it will probably be several days before I get a chance).

I have tried several hubs (I have 3 on the network). I've tried my old hub and one that has never been used. None of them connect.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KevinH12 wrote:

I haven't used my friends network yet (it will probably be several days before I get a chance).

I have tried several hubs (I have 3 on the network). I've tried my old hub and one that has never been used. None of them connect.

Did something change on your network?  A new router perhaps?

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nothing has changed on my network.

I just tried a different brand router (ASUS) set to default settings and the hub still would not connect. I used a Laptop connected directly to the router.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KevinH12 wrote:

Nothing has changed on my network.

I just tried a different brand router (ASUS) set to default settings and the hub still would not connect. I used a Laptop connected directly to the router.

Presumably the base was also directly connected to the router?

What is the status of the base LED?

Does the base show up in your router's attached device list?

KevinH12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes the base connected directly to the router. 

The light on the hub is solid blue after it boots up, so that means it has an internet connection, 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We ask that you reach out to support for further assistance. Simply login to your Arlo App, go to Settings, Support, then select the Arlo product you would like support for.