Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing only myself

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
jimmitofthoj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to enable geofencing, so that the camera registers everything and anyone else but me and my phone.
I want it to register the mailman, the garbage guy, my girlfriend walking the dog, anything. I want it to register everything and everyone but me, even when I'm just in the backyard. I just don't need the camera to tell me that I'm walking through my own driveway. How do I tweak geofencing to register the EXACT location of my phone in a way that allows this ? Is it an update ? Can I bypass something ?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Geofencing doesn't discriminate based on your location - it just changes modes. The cameras will pick up anything/anyone as long as the mode has a rule for a specific camera.

You can change the radius of the geofencing in the GF settings but that won't do what you're asking.

jimmitofthoj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have talked to my alarm company, and they said the same thing. Og, geez, imagine if engineers had invented a technology where every gadget connected to the internet (e.g. phones, tv's and other smart devices) that would then allow for very precise tracking of that device, so that I could maybe use my phone as a - I don't know - a GPS, maybe 🙂 ? I know it's insane to imagine this technology, but stay with me. IF this technology existed, I would be able to navigate my use of my phone, because the internet (and satellites) very precisely know my exact location. Ok, stay with me; then imagine if my alarm, my camera and my phone were on connected to the same local wifi, and the camera therefore knew exactly where I was, and was therefore able to differentiate between me and guests and was able to monitor my property even when I was at home, but didn't tell me that I was at home. Crazy, futuristic tech here 😮

Ok, JK, why isn't this already a feature ? I can't be the only one who needs this ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimmitofthoj wrote:

Ok, JK, why isn't this already a feature ?

The phone doesn't know your exact location. Typical GPS accuracy for a smartphone is about 5 meters.  Note this isn't much different from the max range of the motion detection (which is 7.6 meters). So it's not accurate enough to provide the feature you want.

What you'd need for this to actually work is an AI backend that would recognize you (and perhaps your family members), and only record when strangers are in the field of view when the motion is triggered.  That would be a useful feature.