Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection failed on live view

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
DaveWick
Star
Star

Live view works on my Android phone and in Chrome on my Windows 7 PC but in Firefox I get the Connection Failed error.

Recording and notifications works just fine, as does viewing Library videos.

This is a recent development. It has worked in the past under the same conditions as now.

I have done everything suggested in the many topics that came up with a "Connection Failed in live view" search here.

Emptied Firefox cache, restarted Firefox

Updated Shockwave Flash in Firefox plugins (already running latest update anyway)

Disabled Adblocker and Ghostery

Disabled Anti virus

Disabled Windows Firewall

Turned off base station, then on again (however, as I said it works fine with my phone and with Chrome on the PC)

nslookup arlo.netgear.com returns Server: Unknown

I'm all ears if someone has any further suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Maybe a Firefox update broke it? What version of Firefox. Probably best for you to contact support at the bottom of the page and let them know so they can look into it

DaveWick
Star
Star

I'm running the latest ... 54.0.1 and it says it is up to date.

OK. Thanks, I'll open a support ticket.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DaveWick,

I'm not experiencing any issues on the same version of Firefox. There must be something else blocking the connection. You might consider uninstalling Firefox and download a fresh version of the browser and try again.

JamesC

DaveWick
Star
Star

James,

The only suggestion offered by tech support was to try it on another computer. It turns out it works on my wife's laptop ... same OS, same Firefox, same wifi network, same firewall, etc. I looked at everything on her laptop side by side with my PC to see if there were any glaring differences and didn't see anything.

Since I last posted here and stated that it does work in Chrome on my PC, that has changed. Now, in Chrome when I click on Live it attempts for awhile and then just goes back to showing the Live button. So, no go now in Chrome.

To give more detail ... the video playback in the library works just fine. But there is no image from the camera either in the pan and zoom mode or the camera positioning mode. Everything else in the Arlo interface appears to be working.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I've had this system for a couple of years now, and it's only recently that I've lost use of it on my PC.

Any ideas?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

There's a thread about the Chrome Live View problem. It's basically a problem due to Flash

DaveWick
Star
Star

Thank you, Steve. I've read those topics and checked to make sure Shockwave Flash is up to date. I even uninstalled and reinstalled it on my PC.

I don't use Chrome, and only use it for the occasional sandbox test (like now). My main concern is with Firefox. My wife's laptop is using the same version of Shockwave Flash as my desktop.

DaveWick
Star
Star

On a whim, I decided to crank up an old laptop that I rarely use, but that I do keep updated.

Live view did not work in Firefox, but did work in Chrome.

Does anybody know enough about video codecs/flash settings that they can run me through some diagnostics?

DaveWick
Star
Star

Further testing ...

Went to Adobe Flash website for Flash Player Help and saw the cloud moving across the sky. So, apparently, Flash works on my computer, but not on Arlo's website on my computer.

When I disable Shockwave Flash in Firefox Plugins I get an error from Arlo interface that I need to update it. I update it, and the error goes away, but I am still not able to see live view.

cumminsd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything was working great until a few weeks ago.

The cameras work. I get alerts. I can view video from the library just fine. But when I try to connect live, it either hangs for a very long time (longer than my patience) or it comes back with "failed to connect".

I've tried both Chrome and Firefox. I've updated Flash. Same results in both browsers.

Thanks!

--Darin

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Take a look at the instructions in the solution here, this should resolve the issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-cameras-will-not-stream-live-image/m-p/1333915#M1...

JamesC

DaveWick
Star
Star

I've got it working in Chrome, but I want to get it working in Firefox. I've tried everything that I can think of, so if anybody has a magic fix, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it.

cumminsd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately that did not work. I'll keep playing with it.

Does the viewing of library videos also use Flash? I can watch those just fine.

Since Flash is going away, does Netgear have plans to move to a pure HTML5 solution?

Thanks!

--Darin

CK36
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the same problem.  I can acess the cameras through IE, but not on Firefox.  This started happening a few weeks ago, and prior to that I had no problems using FIrefox to access Arlo.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Changes to browsers have caused issues in the past and likely will continue.  Every browser update has to be tested. Also, make sure Flash is up to date.

DaveWick
Star
Star

Just wanted to let everyone know that after a long period of me not even trying I decided to give it a go, and now it seems to be working properly in Firefox. No changes to my computer or Firefox that I know of.

Go figure.