Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting SmartHub To Multiple Routers

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Press14English
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Orbi Mesh router that has what are essentially 2 router units that function as one. Each unit is placed at a different end of my house, for maximum range and cross-coverage. If I connect my Arlo SmartHub with one of them via ethernet cable, will my cameras get the benefit of the combined range of both of the routers, or only the one it is plugged in to?
I'm not sure the "2 router" description is technically accurate, but hopefully someone understands how mesh routers work well enough to answer. They are both accessed via the same SSID, the device connecting makes no differentiation between the two units, and they function seamlessly as one. I'm just wondering if connecting the smart hub via ethernet to one of the units forces it to work off only that unit and consequently doesn't include the additional coverage the other unit provides.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Press14English wrote:

I have an Orbi Mesh router 

So do I, and have had no issues connecting Arlo cameras to my mesh wifi.

My cameras are connecting to the appropriate (closest) satellite.

There is advice in the on-boarding workflow that says to disable your 5 ghz wifi.  You can't do that with Orbi - but just ignoring that advice works for me.

Press14English
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's good to hear.  I was afraid no one would read this who had similar experience.  Thank you so much for your response!