Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera drains the battery extremely quickly

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Leddon
Tutor
Tutor

I have some Arlo Spot Light Cameras. I am very pleased with them but I do have an issue. One of the cameras drains the battery extremely quickly. In addition, sometimes when the battery is not dead the camera will suddenly go "offline." I have tried cutting back of the settings to save battery life as well as the reset button on the side. For example, I installed a fully charged better about 10 minutes ago. It is already down to 98%. If the past is any teacher, it will be dead before the end of the day. Suggestions???

6 REPLIES 6
Leddon
Tutor
Tutor

Please excuse my typo. It should have read "battery" NOT "better."

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bring the doorbell indoors for testing. Any better? What is the house construction?

JoAnneNabors
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem where one of my cameras drains daily, even with the solar charger plugged in.

I have to remove it and bring it inside to charge and then put it up in the morning, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the solar chargers! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I replied in another thread. Generally, one post is sufficient.

Leddon
Tutor
Tutor

Well, the craziest thing happened. I have 3 of these cameras. Since the "core" is removeable I took the core out of the one on the front porch and put it in place of the one with which I was having the problem and vice versa. It seems, knock on wood, I have fixed the problem. When I moved them, I inserted a fully charged battery. As you can see from the time stamp, that was Dec 16 at 8:58 AM. I just checked the battery life ... 99%. The one I put in the back is currently down to 44% but it was not fully charged when it was moved. I assume, and yes, I know what happens when you assume things, the location/conditions had something to do with the issue. With my luck, now that I've bragged, both of them will go crazy. Thanks for your help guys. Merry Christmas!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Leddon wrote:

Well, the craziest thing happened. I have 3 of these cameras. Since the "core" is removeable I took the core out of the one on the front porch and put it in place of the one with which I was having the problem and vice versa. It seems, knock on wood, I have fixed the problem. When I moved them, I inserted a fully charged battery. 

FYI, you posted in the area for Essential Gen 2 cameras.  Those are fully sealed (the camera cannot be removed from the shell), and the battery is not user replacable. 

If you post in the future, it would be good to use the correct forum area (and also identify the specific camera models you have).

@Leddon wrote:

I just checked the battery life ... 99%. The one I put in the back is currently down to 44% but it was not fully charged when it was moved. I assume, and yes, I know what happens when you assume things, the location/conditions had something to do with the issue. 

Removing/reinserting the battery will reboot the cameras - so it is possible that was all that was needed to resolve it.