Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
dns
Star
Star

I like the battery life indicator percentage indicator (an upgrade some time ago from the status bar indicator). However, I have to question the accuracy of the readout.

I realize the battery life can be changed by a large number of factors (distance form base, temperature, quality and length of video, etc). However, the indicator on a camera went from a high percentage (high 70's) down to nothing (black screen and "it's time to change your batteries) without a commensurate decreasein the battery level indicator. Also, the other camera batteries have been showing the same percentage for some time, but cameras has been used, without a decrease in the percentage indicators.

I did re-boot the system, thinking it would trigger a different / updated reading of the battery percentage, but no change.

Any tips/suggestions on getting as accurate a reading as possible on the battery life indicator? Or are they somewhat inaccurate?

7 REPLIES 7
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Temerature can influence the accuracy.

I've also noticed level can drop when I move a cam until I open/close battery door.  Assume from the movement can the contacts no longer make proper contact with a battery.

All in all though, I find the battery level indicator to be accurate

dns
Star
Star

Apperciate the feedback!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any tips/suggestions on getting as accurate a reading as possible on the battery life indicator? Or are they somewhat inaccurate?

Lets say they are fairly accurate...  A few things can change how the battery readings go ( if OEM in Arlo or rechargeable cells/pack like in Arlo or Pro)

Interference, weak signal to the camera,usage, and cold can effect how the batteries read.  What you should find is after a couple of months, is how long a battery lasts for your conditions.  Each set up is different a bit...

I really don't go by the gauge much anymore but when i need a reading , use the percent in settings for each cam... As a reminder I add the date of the last battery change to the camera name ( at end )... this allows me to quickly have an idea as to when I'll be changing them again.

But to really answer the question, when the readings are high, the voltage in the batteries is high and the opposite

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
dns
Star
Star

Thanks for the info. Great suggesion on adding the (battery change) date to the name!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

This may be overkill for some but each morning I record number of recordings and remaining battery charge to a spreadsheet for each cam and also annotate when and which battery set charged

dns
Star
Star

Thanks again!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

manfredz wrote:

This may be overkill for some but each morning I record number of recordings and remaining battery charge to a spreadsheet for each cam and also annotate when and which battery set charged

been there, done that , and have the t-shirt... only i used mico wire into the camera to read actual voltage levels of the cells...

end results were almost the same as you are doing... enjoy.

more data info is always good

Morse is faster than texting!