Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Adammuccino
Aspirant
Aspirant

A friend at work recently hooked me up with a box full of Arlo gear. Roughly 14 arlo pro cameras, mounts, chargers, base stations, ghillie suits, and arlo doorbell. A super score from a very generous friend. 

I have 3 Arlo cameras already. Really happy with them, I like that footage is stored locally, they are not on all the time so I was excited to add more cameras, maybe not 14, but a few more to my setup. When, alas, after linking up the 6th camera I get the message about arlo subscriptions and how the new cameras won't work without it. 

I think I already know the answer, but, is there any way for me to keep my storage local, add these cameras and not purchase a subscription? 

I would consider purchasing the subscription if it merely let me add the cameras, but it also includes cloud storage and monitoring, two features I don't want let alone have to pay for just to add more cameras. 

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Adammuccino wrote:

I think I already know the answer, but, is there any way for me to keep my storage local, add these cameras and not purchase a subscription? 

I would consider purchasing the subscription if it merely let me add the cameras, but it also includes cloud storage and monitoring, two features I don't want let alone have to pay for just to add more cameras. 

The free 7-day cloud storage with the legacy cameras is (and always has been) limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras per account.  Not sure why you don't want to keep cloud storage, as you were using that before you added the 6th camera. 

To be clear:

• All the recordings you see in your browser (my.arlo.com) are stored in the Arlo Cloud.
  • If you have VMB3xxx, VMB4000 or VMB4500 bases, then all the recordings you see in the app are stored in the Arlo Cloud.
  • The VMB4540 and VMB5000 do have a feature that lets you see locally stored recordings in the app, but you would know that you were using that feature, since it requires a fair amount of setup.

VMB4000, VMB4500, and VMB3xxx bases don't have this feature.  The VMB3xxx bases don't support local recording at all.  The VMB4000 and VMB4500 do support local recording, but they do not support playback.  The only way to see those recordings is to eject the storage from the app, and connect it to a PC.

The cameras will work without the subscription, the details are here:

But if you go to the "Library" or "Feed" page, you would see a subscription notice.

One workaround is to use multiple accounts (each 5 cameras or less) and then share the cameras using the friend account feature.  You'd need one base for each account.   Note that this would force you to migrate to the new "Feed" user interface, as newly created accounts all use "Feed", and you can't share the cameras between "Library" and "Feed".

"Feed" has several differences, IMO the biggest one is that is has no custom modes.  Instead it has three built-in modes (Armed Home, Armed Away, Standby).  All three can be edited.

The other approach is to get VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthubs, and use the "direct access to local storage" feature in those hubs I mentioned above.  

Direct Access doesn't offer a very good experience, but there are quite a few people who use it instead of a subscription.

Adammuccino
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is very disappointing, I thought the base stored the video locally, not on the cloud. Apparently I need some sort of hard drive to store this locally. This is unbelievable, in a way I'm embarrassed. The exact opposite of what I wanted to happen has been going on for years now. 

What type of hard drive do I need and how big? I want to at least stop the cloud storage while I figure out my options and what I'm going to do long term. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Adammuccino wrote:

Apparently I need some sort of hard drive to store this locally.

As I said above you also would need a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 smarthub.  A VMB4000 or a VMB4500 would let you store videos, but you wouldn't be able to see them in your app or browser.  You can check the base model(s) you have easily enough - just look for a VMBxxxx label on the base.

As far as storage requirements goes, a flash drive with a VMB4540 is IMO a better option than a hard drive.  The VMB5000 has a microSD slot (no USB), so you'd need a microSD card for that hub.  Easier to handle, and also easier to power.  I find 128 GB is more than enough storage.  While the system will support up to 2 TB, I don't recommend using more than 512 GB.

The minimum size is 16 GB.  The storage needs to be formatted as FAT32 (not the exFAT that most drives are pre-formatted with).

Adammuccino
Aspirant
Aspirant

Appreciate the responses and the help on this, 

I confirmed I have a VMB4000r3 base, which if I understand correctly, will accept an SD card and enable local storage. 

If enable local storage and decide to op-in for the lowest tier subscription, what am I getting for my money? The ability to add more cameras? If I add the subscription to one camera, does that mean that camera is always being monitored? Can I turn that off? An Arlo doorbell was also included in the bucket of free gear, will that record to the micro USB drive in the base station or is that cloud storage only? 

I only use these cameras outside and I only have them actively recording throughout the night. I am not looking for 24x7 monitoring; I am the monitor. 

Thanks again for the help. I understand your responses, while polite, are most likely typed through gritted teeth while you wonder why people do not read fine print and understand what they are buying/doing before they set up cameras around their house. Full acknowledgement; but its 2024 and like anyone else I want what I want when I want it and I want another subscription like I want another hole in my head. 

Adammuccino
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I enable local storage, does the video still go to the cloud and to the local storage, or local storage only? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@Adammuccino wrote:

Thanks again for the help. I understand your responses, while polite, are most likely typed through gritted teeth while you wonder why people do not read fine print and understand what they are buying/doing before they set up cameras around their house. Full acknowledgement; but its 2024 and like anyone else I want what I want when I want it and I want another subscription like I want another hole in my head. 

I don't work for Arlo, so I have no horse in this race.  I'm just telling you what your options are if you want to see recordings in the app with more than 5 cameras.  Which amount to

• Setting up multiple accounts and sharing the cameras to one account using the "friend" account feature.
  • getting a subscription
  • purchasing a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub and setting up direct access to local storage

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with the multiple accounts (described in more detail below).  If you have enough  bases, it is free to try.

FWIW, if you really want to know the answers to your questions, then you should actually READ my replies and the links in them.  I've already answered your questions, which explains "gritted teeth".  I'll give it one more try.

@Adammuccino wrote:

I confirmed I have a VMB4000r3 base, which if I understand correctly, will accept an SD card and enable local storage. 

The VMB4000 accepts USB flash drives, but not a microSD card. The VMB5000 smarthub is the only base that accepts a microSD card.

As I said in my earlier posts, you can record using your existing VMB4000 base.  But the ONLY WAY to see those recordings with a VMB4000 base is to eject the storage and connect it to your PC.  They will NOT be shown in the browser, and will NOT be shown in the app.  One consequence is that you will NOT be to view any recordings when you are away from home.

@Adammuccino wrote:

If enable local storage and decide to op-in for the lowest tier subscription, what am I getting for my money? The ability to add more cameras? If I add the subscription to one camera, does that mean that camera is always being monitored? Can I turn that off? 

This is answered here:

First, if you choose not to get a subscription and stick with your current VMB4000 base with only one account, then you will be able to add all your cameras.  But the features will only include

• Live Streaming
  • Push Notifications when motion is detected
  • Two-way Audio
  • Local Storage Recording (but again, NOT playback).

This is of course free.

Second, if you choose not to get a subscription and create multiple accounts, then you will be able to see cloud recordings from all your cameras. You will need to have one base station for each account, since bases (like cameras) can only be in one account.  And you will need to limit each account to 5 cameras or fewer.   17 total cameras would require 4 accounts, so three new ones.

These new accounts would end up using the new "Feed" user interface.  That is quite different from what you are used to.  So if you pursue this path, it would be best to set up one new account, and put some of the new cameras into it, so you can try it out.  If all goes well, you can create the rest of the accounts you need.

You can then share the cameras in these new accounts with your current account, so you can see all the cameras and recordings from one account.  But in order to do that, you will first need to migrate your current account to "Feed".  We can tell you how to do that if you get to that point. 

This is also free (assuming you have enough base stations)

One caveat - the free 7-day cloud storage is only available for legacy cameras (pro, pro 2).  The video doorbells don't have 7-day cloud storage, so you would need a single camera subscription for the one you were given if you choose this option.  Neither do Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, Pro 5s, Ultra, Ultra 2, or Essential cameras.  So you should make sure you check the model info for all the kit you were given.

Third, if you get an Arlo Secure multicamera subscription, then there is no need to also add local storage or create multiple accounts.  All the cameras will continue to work just like your original ones did before you exceeded the 5 camera limit.   The only change as far as storage is concerned is that the retention for the recordings will increase from 7 days to 30 days. 

You would also get the other subscription features

• activity zones when on battery power
  • smart notifications (people, animal, vehicle, package classifications) 

You would NOT get any monitoring or emergency response features unless you purchase Secure Plus or Safe & Secure Pro

This of course has a recurring subscription cost - current US pricing is $12.99/month (or $149.99/year if you choose annual payments).  I don't recommend the annual option, because the savings over monthly are small, and Arlo does not refund any money if you cancel in the middle of a billing period.

Fourth, if you choose to get a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub with one account and use local storage instead of a subscription, then you will run into the following limitations:

• recordings are only available in the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • recordings are only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots while livestreaming
  • no thumbnails - all videos need to be downloaded to your phone before you can see anything
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult, and which won't work with some internet service providers.

Local storage and cloud storage are independent features.  If you set up local storage and are under the 5 camera limit with Pro/Pro2 cameras, then your recordings are both in the cloud and stored locally.  Also, if you combine local storage with a subscription, you end up with both.  If you have more then 5 unsubscribed cameras with local storage, then the recordings are only in the cloud.

This is not free, unless your friend happened to give you VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthubs. Arlo sells the VMB4540 for $99.99, and they sell the VMB5000 for $149.99

@Adammuccino wrote:

An Arlo doorbell was also included in the bucket of free gear, will that record to the micro USB drive in the base station or is that cloud storage only? 

As far as your doorbell question goes,  the answer to that depends on what model doorbell you have.  The AVD1001 and AVD2001 can be connected to a VMB4000 or newer hub, and if you do that it will have the same local storage features as your other cameras.  

The new Gen 2 doorbells cannot be connected to a hub yet, so there is no way to get local storage for those cameras yet.  Arlo says they will add the ability to connect them to a hub, but they haven't said when .  I doubt your friend gave you a gen 2 doorbell, as it was just released last fall.

Note that both the AVD1001 and the AVD2001 require a subscription to get any cloud storage.  So the second option above won't work for them.  You'd need a single camera Arlo secure subscription for the doorbell

Adammuccino
Aspirant
Aspirant

Spare me the lecture, I was merely trying to add a little levity acknowledging that I am slow to pick this stuff up. Again I appreciate your help, but at the same time, no one has a gun to your head to respond to my questions. Consider yourself relieved of the burden. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

@StephenB  was incredibly patient and went to a lot of trouble to give you detailed answers that were not just cut and pasted.

You received free cameras and want free recordings. He tried his best to share all of the options with you.

Reading comprehension seems to be a lost art these days. Had you read everything he said in the first place he would not have to repeat himself.

No, nobody has guns to our heads, we could just ignore your questions but as volunteers here we choose to try and be as helpful as possible to as many people as possible. Sometimes it's just not appreciated. Maybe next time just get hold of support and see how well you do.