Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo customer using my phone number

Discussion stats
Vamtom
Tutor
Tutor

Some poor Arlo customer is mistakenly using my phone number to try to pair their device.

About three times a day, I'll receive a text with my 'one time pairing code'. Can't imagine it's a scam, as there is no link to press. This has been going on for nearly a week.

Wish I could let them know, but it seems impossible - I even tried speaking to Arlo customer support, but gave up after being on hold for about half an hour. Couldn't contact support online, as I'm not a customer.

I'm in New Zealand, so if there are any kiwis tearing their hair out about pairing a device, check the number!

49 REPLIES 49
Crapbag1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Me too. I am in New Zealand too.

Have had 3 messages since 6.30pm yesterday, then 9pm last night one just came thru now at 5am and woke me up.  Really annoying! What’s going on? There can’t be that many stupid people using the wrong phone number in New Zealand? 

I’m going to block the number the text has come from and go back to sleep.

Vamtom
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Thanks for replying. That's annoying that you've been disturbed. And it's also strange that at least 2 NZ numbers are being bombarded.

I was reticent to block the number as it's actually the same text number that's been used by a couple of other companies to verify services with codes (in my case HSBC and Discord).

Fingers crossed it stops!

Annoyed86
Tutor
Tutor

This is happening to me too.  I’ve had 8 messages in the past day.  Any word from Arlo on why this is happening?

Vamtom
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Thanks for posting. This is starting to look like a bigger issue. If three of us have managed to find this support forum, the odds are that others are affected.

Could an Arlo moderator please notify the team and get some feedback? 

EquallyAnnoyed
Tutor
Tutor

It’s also happening to me. That’s 4 of us now. I’m getting really annoyed. There’s no way to really stop them since for me at least each code sent to me is by a different number. Gonna have to call them up on Monday I think 

Pill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just registered to say I'm also receiving these texts, and like the others I'm in NZ.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for notifying me, do you happen to have a screenshot of the text messages?

Thank you 

Vamtom
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Here are a couple of screenshots of two series of texts which seem to be from Arlo.

9A5107AA-A456-4AC8-A6DE-F410E01564F0.jpeg

497F23CF-D08C-4E99-91C3-F7901CF555C7.jpeg

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Vamtom Thank you 

Pill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pill_0-1689645095930.png

Pill_1-1689645155034.png

Jmg1991
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing here, from New Zealand. Didn't know Arlo existed until today.

Screenshot_20230722-155714_Messages.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jmg1991 wrote:

Same thing here, from New Zealand. Didn't know Arlo existed until today.

FWIW, this is an SMS reponse to a two-factor authentication request.  This is configured manually by the Arlo owner, and apparently some folks have accidentally configured it to use the wrong phone number.

Not sure if this is something Arlo can solve, but I am tagging @JamesC and @ShayneS to see.  They'd need to search their user accounts for your phone number.

The camera owner likely will also figure it out, since they won't receive the text message they are looking for.

EquallyAnnoyed
Tutor
Tutor

It stopped for a while and now it’s happening again 🤦‍♀️ for real? This is ridiculous. And it seems like it’s all in NZ. Wth

Traumatizer
Initiate
Initiate

Also happening to me, received about 8 messages today. Im in NZ

Janie124
Tutor
Tutor

Me too. I am in NZ. I have had several messages over the last month. I'm not an Arlo customer.

shizzles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I literally just signed up an account so I can post here.

Been receiving a WHOLE BUNCH of codes too. 3 just today.

NZ as well.

Janie124
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, that's the only reason I signed up as well.......v. annoying

LHNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue, also in New Zealand. Several Arlo code messages a day for almost 2 weeks now, one randomly in German.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the details, I have notified the team and I will report back as soon as I have more info to share.

Janie124
Tutor
Tutor

5 more last night!

NZphoneowner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another New Zealander getting spammed with these texts over the past few days. If I block the number, the texts starting arriving from another number. It is happening at all times of the day

Ramen0
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am another affected person and this is beyond infuriating. I'd never heard of Arlo before I started being constantly spammed with these text messages. 

I've had to make an account on your website to get hold of you because you don't provide a general support email, your chat bot is useless, and your phone support offers no option even remotely appropriate for reporting this problem.

I have three four of these texts today so far, six yesterday, and many, many more for weeks and weeks. They don't come from a consistent number so it's not like I can block and move on. Some come from a number that is also used by health services local to me (which I clearly cannot block).

Please make this an urgent priority, you're bothering people who have nothing to do with your company (and I would suggest damaging your brand in the process, I'm certainly not motivated to ever give you my money based on this experience). 

PWR21
Tutor
Tutor

Another NZ’er receiving these Arlo txt messages! 8 messages received just today in 2 hours and others before that at crazy early hours of the morning! 
How do we stop these? They come from different numbers and have been happening for over a week now. Clearly the Arlo customer has the wrong mobile number entered, how long does it take to realise it?  yet we are being spammed with these messages. 

IMG_3687.png

Pill
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS

I'd like to know how the sender acquired my cellphone number.