Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera signal issues

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Rossw
Aspirant
Aspirant

The past few weeks I have noticed the signal on several of my cameras go from 3  bar to 1  bar, and some times go offline. I have replaced the batteries thinking this may help but the problem still persists. 

I have also recently purchased a net gear Wi-Fi range extender and the signal on these two cameras are still on one bar. Upon searching This issue online other people have experienced this problem and say it could be to do with the most recent Arlo software upgrade? 

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@Rossw

I am having no range problems with either my original system nor my Pro system that I connected to my Netgear range extender. I am also up to date on my firmware. I'm sure you did not want to hear that, but most likely it is an interference issue. Have you purchased any new electronics devices that work in the 2.4 ghz band lately? New phones? Chromecast? Don't forget that if your neighbor has a strong wifi network his devices can also cause interference issues with your wifi.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Rossw, how are you using the range extender? Just checking you're aware that the cameras only communicate with the base station.

It would appear that the cameras are too far away from the base station. You could use the range extender to position your base station in the most central location (relative to the cameras) in your house. The other option for cameras that are far away from each other and from the base station is to obtain a second base station. There are no limits to the number of base stations you can use on your account. This should be able to be set up to give strong signals to all/most cameras

Rossw
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your reply. As mentioned in my initial post my cameras all had 3 bars of signal up until recently and then suddenly 2 of the further away ones now only have 1, I’ve not touched the position of my base station and haven’t acquired any other electronics that would affect the frequency. As for the range extender maybe I misunderstood it’s opperation. I thought the cameras worked directly off the WiFi so increasing the WiFi coverage assumed the camera signal would increase
steve_t
Master Master
Master

No worries. Unfortunately no, the cameras only communicate with the base (though back in the day there was a router that they could connect to for a while).
I remember about a year ago, they did a firmware to "increase the accuracy" of the signal display but nothing recently that I know of. Anyway, if you can move the base to the most central point between all the cameras, that should work better

brh
Master
Master

@Rossw

Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I purchased a second base station for a different location within my house along with the range extender that I plugged the second base station into. As I expand my system if the signals are weak at the other side of my house I will purchase another range extender and another base unit for that part of the house. 

Brian

Rossw
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you Brian