Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera detects motion but will not record

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Vmc3030 camera x 4

1.2.2688 firmware

my cameras all pick up motion very well and send out a notification but it seems no matter what way I set up the modes, none of them will record video. Getting pretty frustrated, I tried to reset the base station but nothing changed...any suggestions?

19 REPLIES 19
Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also, it always shows that I have 1 item in my library but there never actually is something there.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

In the Devices tab, is the "running man" for each camera black in color? Or grey?

Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Each camera has this icon grey and a "Live" button in the centre of the picture. I assume the running man is the little character with the two beams in front above each camera picture.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Lwalsh wrote:

Each camera has this icon grey and a "Live" button in the centre of the picture. I assume the running man is the little character with the two beams in front above each camera picture.

Yes... There is something wrong with your MODEs... Using ARMED, the "running man" should be BLACK over each camera.

When the man is GRAY the motion detect is turned OFF and there will never be any motion detected recordings.

Also to test your recordings, Push the LIVE button so the camera is viewing live and then PUSH on the " target icon " to record for about 10 secs.

Hit pause " || " to stop.  After a few seconds or so the recording should appear in your library

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
fpeace5412
Tutor
Tutor
I had the same issue. My firmware was out of date when the unit was 3 months old. I took the unit to my business and connected to the router there, and unit automatically updated, including the camera. Fine since then.
You need very fast service to work correctly.
Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the help guys. So I did a manual recording as mentioned and it did come in the library right away, the Internet in my area is very slow (1.5 mBps) so not sure what to do next...obviously no good as a security camera if it does not record on motion detection. Any suggestions on what to do next.

mhconley
Guide
Guide
I'm having the same issues. The running man icons are black for each camera. I just set everything up today. If I already need to reboot the base and cameras then this system has major issues...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1.5Mbs is no particular issue with recording - it's above the spec of 1Mbs.

A good thing to try is to reset the system by removing all devices in Settings, My Devices. Add the base using the Add Device button in the Devices tab and sync the cameras. If firmware updates are offered, take them.  If necessary, wait overnight for updates to occur automatically.

fpeace5412
Tutor
Tutor
My unit works great with my Internet speed (upload 1.5bps) but I think it was too slow to upgrade firmware. You can check firmware in settings. Should be 1.8something. Mine was 1.4 and almost new. Must have been on the shelf for a while prior to purchase. Take your entire unit somewhere that has fast speeds! It will operate correctly at the slower speed, but simply would not upgrade. You will be very happy once it works. I literally spent hours with tech support until I found a tech who knew what she was talking about.
fpeace5412
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I've updated my firmware on 1.0Mbs upload speed. I suppose specific issues relative to your installation can cause issues but I haven't run into it. Relocating the system temporarily does seem to be a useful troubleshooting step with issues like this.
Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think you are right about the firmware as mine are as below.

Hub is version 1.4.2695

Cameras are 1.2.2688

so do I just bring them somewhere with higher speed and set up then do a manual update. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That would be my suggestion based on what others have reported here.
Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

So...I have rebooted the base station....factory reset the base station.....opened up each cameras battery compartments...resynced the cameras a few times. The running man is still grey but obviously turns black and yellow at times it detects motion...still does not record and has never asked me anything about updates...I haven't been able to bring it to a place with faster internet yet....idk.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the running men are gray it will never record.  Amber indicates recording which should happen without live viewing (using live view will disable detection/recording).  Updates are normally indicated with text on the individual device in the Devices tab or in Settings, My Devices with a red triangle.  You can verify your firmware versions by checking the Firmware forum here.

It sounds like you don't have an appropriate mode set.  Use the Mode tab and see what mode is selected.  If you have custom modes, try the default Armed to test.

Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Note there is no armed mode on mine, but I have used all motion on and the other factory set modes as well as my own custom ones...makes no difference. When I turn on a mode that should record motion, the little man does turn black which I understand means ready to record, the man even turns again to Amber and the camera identifies when something moves in front of it perfectly...it just never records.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's your problem - your configuration is broken.  All Motion On/Off are indications of the old (>1 year) config.  Time to reset things.

- Note all your settings and modes/rules that you want to use to ease the process of setting back up.

- Remove ALL devices in Settings, My Devices

- Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and sync the cameras (be sure to only briefly press the base sysnc button don't hold it)

That should give you the Armed and Disarmed default modes and no others (schedule is not a mode).  Change your settings and create your custom modes as desired. When creating a new mode, only one camera will be set up.  Save and reedit the mode to add cameras. ANy camera without a rule will be disarmed.

Lwalsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for your quick reply, I have done exactly this twice now as well as a factory reset but everything still comes back the same. I can of course try again, just getting a bit frustrated with it now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
OK, have you tried the physical reset button? Usually you just hold it (NOT with the sync button!) until the LEDs flash amber. However, support ois telling some folks to hold the reset button for at least 1 minute for some unknown reason. That might be worth a try.