Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Animated preview in email

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
jzachariasen
Guide
Guide

The animated preview in email is gone again.  This happened 3 years ago but was "solved".  Can anyone else confirm?

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Email-notification-format-changes-removal-of-preview-image/m-p/17...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback. There was an update that should have addressed this issue. Please let the know if this returns.

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thanks, I'll notify the team and report back as soon as possible. 

25 REPLIES 25
MadTxn
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem but only with Gmail on the desktop. I can see the images on my phone. Is there a new XSS format or something that is being blocked?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @MadTxn @jzachariasen We did remove the snapshot in the email a while back, but reverted and maintained the email snapshot for smart notification triggers. If this still image is missing, do you mind providing a screenshot of the error in the email notification?

Thank you 

MadTxn
Initiate
Initiate

There's no error; just no image.

MadTxn_1-1689165468116.png

On my phone, the image shows:

Screenshot_20230712-083647.png

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks, I'll notify the team and report back as soon as possible. 

jzachariasen
Guide
Guide

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm seeing. 

brunobus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also started having the issue a couple of days ago with my desktop gmail chrome.  They still show up on my phone app though.

green12
Tutor
Tutor

I am hitting the same issue with gmail as well since the past few days. ADBLOCK is off, gmail-Enhanced Safe Browsing is off as well. 

Any updates please ? I am on arlo system for the single reason that I can preview on desktop!

frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Happening to me also - gmail using the browser has no preview image.  It hasn't existed in Outlook via IMAP/POP3 since the change a few years ago, now it's not in the gmail preview either.

My concern is we'll get another period of time where Arlo does nothing to resolve the issue, makes excuses, and takes away another useful piece of functionality.  Not to mention, the blame game and finger pointing blaming it on Google or others.

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023, the notification image previews have been removed on the emails. This was a similar issue that occurred back in 2020 until the community reached out to the Arlo CEO. Does anyone else see the same and know how can get this reverted? The link to "View Video Recording" isn't useful when things are happening at an emergency.

johnhuanvu_0-1690307525352.png

Marto-kun
Aspirant
Aspirant

This started happening to me last week.

I figured it was a bug that would be fixed relatively quickly, but it's still broken for me as of this moment...

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

As of July 27, 2023, I'm getting no image preview again.

johnhuanvu_0-1690477143501.png

merlin666
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still no email preview !

For almost a month now, are you on vacation?

merlin666_0-1690716115813.png

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

It comes in and out. When it doesn't show, it really makes it difficult.

mward1308
Star
Star

Same issue here. No images in email on the desktop but I can see them on my phone.

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone else noticing that it's off and on?

Arlo Moderators - why is this happening?

frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

When this started for me a few weeks ago it was a little sporadic.  However, I just went through about 40 emails today through Gmail/Chrome on my laptop and not a single one had a preview image.

Crickets again from Arlo.  The only way to get them to respond is to file a complaint with the BBB, which is next on my list.

xxjkimxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  I can see the previews on my phone but not from my gmail.  It is very frustrating...  

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is so unusual. As someone else said, I can see the previews on my phone but not from my Gmail web account. Why is this happening?

aumis93
Tutor
Tutor

Is anyone else having issues with the video thumbnail not showing in Gmail in the browser?  It shows fine using my Android phone Gmail app but not on my Windows 11 desktop in Chrome or Firefox.

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo, why is it not appearing on emails on a web browser like Google Chrome but has no issues with the previews on a mobile application?

jus10g
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here. No preview images on my desktop Gmail but I can see them in Gmail on the iPhone.

frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

So get this!

Tonight, I updated my Windows Outlook Client to the new preview version, and now my Arlo previews are showing up in my Outlook email using IMAP to my Gmail account.  

green12
Tutor
Tutor

The preview seems to have been restored around 6pm PST Aug 4th. So far all emails since then have previews. Best for everyone on this message chain!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback. There was an update that should have addressed this issue. Please let the know if this returns.