Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AAD1001 - Voice Call Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Unit:  Arlo Audio Doorbell - FW:  1.2.0.0_320_401  HW:  1.4

Android App version:  4.10.2_28611  Released 11/08/2023

For the last couple of months, the audio voice has stopped working correctly.

Conditions:

a.  Press the Arlo Audio Doorbell

b.  Android phone is notified and the Arlo call is answered

c.  When speaking to the Arlo Audio Doorbell microphone, voice can be heard on the Android phone.

d.  When speaking to the Android phone microphone, crackle and popping noises are only heard on the Arlo Audio Doorbell side. 

e.  Even automated answer messages produce the same crackling and pop noises on the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

What I've tried:

*  Android phone - Uninstall and reinstall the Arlo app from the Google Play Store

*  Removed Arlo Audio Doorbell from Arlo hub and re-added Arlo Audio Doorbell

*  Rebooted main home internet router and Arlo hub

*  Added a different Arlo Audio Doorbell device and the same results were duplicated.

*  Reviewed other Arlo device posts that have related sound issues and to see if there was a fix.  To the best of my ability, a fix was not found other than what has been done.

Thanks - Robert

Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

• TechEzPCRepair
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

I am using an iPhone and I get the same results. It started happening on 11/25/2023. I ordered another doorbell form Amazon and installed it nad i have the same issue. It is possibly a bad batch of doorbells or a bug in the latest software.

26 REPLIES 26
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Go through these steps and see if it helps with the behavior you are seeing:

https://kb.arlo.com/000061950/My-Arlo-Doorbell-is-not-calling-my-phone-what-do-I-do

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Hi BrookN...  Thanks for the Arlo article.   In a nutshell, I have ensured the Arlo doorbell and phone are on the same home network and the internet connection is active.  The doorbell is not in silent mode and the led functions correctly.  As motion is detected and when turned on, I get notifications when the motion sensor is activated.  On the Android phone side, the permissions are correct set for the audio functionality.  The microphone setting in the Arlo app is set correctly along with the notifications.  

I believe that the audio doorbell and phone are communicating as designed.  When the doorbell button is pushed, call is made to my cell phone.  The call answer image pops up where I can either accept or decline the call.  When I accept, if some speaks towards the doorbell, I can hear the voice on my cell phone.  When I speak into  my cell phone, the sound seems to be received at the doorbell, but words cannot be heard.  As I speak into my phone, crackle and popping noises are hear through the doorbell speaker.

I've tried to adjust the doorbell volume at different levels ranging from 10% to 100%.  The type of noise is always the same but at different volumes.  And I tried the built in voice responses like, "please leave package at the door".  When I play the message back to the doorbell, the same crackle and pop noise response is heard.

Thanks for your reply.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

And you only hear the crackle when answering a call correct? Is there any crackle sounds on the recordings?

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

The crackling noises are only heard on the Arlo doorbell.  Voices can be heard from doorbell to phone.  But not phone to doorbell.

All of my saved recordings have the crackle/pop noises. 

Derickcarter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Any response on a fix?

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Hi BrookeN,

Good afternoon...  Did you have any updates/instructions that I can try to get my Audio Doorbell voice going again?   Seems that another consumer/customer is experiencing the same issue.

Thanks - Robert

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This is currently being looked into. I will reach out with an update as soon as possible. 

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Okay great!  Thank you for your reply.

Tuan_D
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey, I have the same exact issue as well. Thought I was the only one!

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

I have been in communication with an Arlo technical support person.  Early January, I was send a new Arlo Doorbell to test.  The new doorbell does the same thing, the doorbell function works fine, Alexa integration works fine, but the Doorbell call function audio still does not work from Android phone to Arlo Doorbell.

Are you using an iPhone or Android phone with your Arlo Doorbell?  I am going to try the Arlo app for iPhone this week and will see if anything changes.

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Funny thing is that the Arlo voice recordings do not capture anything, no voice and not the garbled popping noises.  Initially, I thought the recordings did, but I went back to review and they do not.

Tuan_D
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Rob, I am using the iPhone.

I only realised a couple months ago the person can’t hear what I am saying from the doorbell. Just the gargling and cracking sound like yours. Even the automated leave a message is all gargling as well.

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your reply 🙂  I can confirm that the exact same thing happens with my doorbell.  I'll let you know if the Arlo tech person can provide any other help.  

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Tuan,

Which are base station are you using?  I have a VMB3500r4

My confidence is low that this issue will be fixed based on the fact that the end of life for audio doorbell will be Jan 2025. 

Thanks,

Robert

Tuan_D
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Rob,

My base station is VMB5000r4.

Did the support get back to you or is it all tumbleweed situation at the moment?

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Tuan,  Thank you, this is good information.  My communications with Arlo outside of this forum starting shortly after I posted the first thread.  The time between the questions/responses has varied.  Hopefully, there will be some sort of resolution soon. 

Thanks - Rob

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

For record keeping purposes, I have fully tested the brand new Arlo Audio Doorbell sent to me testing with both the Android and iPhone Arlo app.  The doorbell function works fine, but the audio does not work from phone to the doorbell.  The prerecorded messages do not play on the doorbell either.

RickYi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the exact same issue. Thought my audio doorbell speaker became faulty after few years of use, so purchased another AAD1001 audio doorbell and same thing happening with this one. Arlo support offered no solution or explanation. I now own two doorbells that are useless. Hoping there will be a fix for this asap as I cannot talk to visitors at the door when bell is pressed.

TechEzPCRepair
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using an iPhone and I get the same results. It started happening on 11/25/2023. I ordered another doorbell form Amazon and installed it nad i have the same issue. It is possibly a bad batch of doorbells or a bug in the latest software.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

rob_fed
Tutor
Tutor

As of today 02/13/2024 the Arlo Audio Doorbell still does not have "audio" from cell phone to doorbell.

Recap:

• Problem exists with a brand new Arlo Audio Doorbell and two other ones I previously purchased
  • Arlo Support Engineer has been in contact with me and has all of my log files 
  • Since Nov. 2023, I have tested with both Android and iPhone cell phones

I haven't heard back from Arlo tech support for weeks so I ended up buying an Amazon discounted Chinese brand video doorbell to replace my Arlo Audio Doorbell.   This actually has worked very well, I didn't really want a video doorbell, I just wanted the intercom function.  But now having a video doorbell where the intercom function works flawlessly between my cell and doorbell, I do like being able to see movement at my front door.  Also having a doorbell device that connects directly to my home WiFi router eliminates the need for the Arlo hub or any hub.

I don't know how Arlo service subscriptions work, but on other forums that seems to be an impending complaint.  For a very small investment of $30 with no subscription and all of the desired functionality working, I probably won't use the Arlo Audio Doorbell even if the audio is fixed.

Thanks,

Robert 

Sacramento, CA

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I do apologize for the delay in response, our team is still working on it. The future update will resolve this, however at this moment I do not have an ETA on that update. 

WTFman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to manually revert the firmware to previous version where the intercom actually works both ways?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There is no way to revert back to the old firmware. However, it is still being looked into and I will provide an update soon.