Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
rfeiring
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why do I suddenly have to do the 2-step verification daily? Each day it tells me I'm good for 14 days but this is not true.

9 REPLIES 9
Dannybear
Master
Master
Are you using the arlo mobile app or the arlo web portal?
If using the web browser on a pc are you powering it down every day?
rfeiring
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using Google Chrome on Win10 PC & powering down every night.  Have been doing this for years and never had a problem with Arlo 2-step verification until several weeks ago.  Always had a 2 week break between having to enter the code.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I find restarting the browser for any reason causes this. Rather than shutting down the computer, leave Chrome running and just have it sleep or hibernate.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Since 2FA was introduced last year I have never been able to get more than a day grace on my web browser accessing arlo web portal.

So I don’t understand how you could get 2weeks grace at a time unless you had access to a working arlo server.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
Since 2FA was introduced last year I have never been able to get more than a day grace on my web browser accessing arlo web portal.

My experience is better than that, but I don't think I've ever gotten the full 2 weeks.

Rebooting and maybe changing wifi networks on the PC seems to trigger the need to get trust again.

rfeiring
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was getting it with no special access.  Not sure if it was exactly 14 days [never stopped to count] but it was close.  After entering code, I get screen that asks if I want to trust this browser.  If I answered in the positive, I would get the '14 days'.  Last night, I unchecked "Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" in Chrome and this morning I did not have to do the 2-step.  This maybe the 'secret'.

rfeiring
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was shutting the PC down every night and still getting the supposed 14 day grace period so I don't think re-booting is the problem.  Have not changed networks so I can't comment on that but I could see where that might be a problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rfeiring wrote:

Last night, I unchecked "Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" in Chrome and this morning I did not have to do the 2-step.  This maybe the 'secret'.

Yeah, I think clearing the cookies would almost certainly undo the trust. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

I get about 7-10 days and I shut down my laptop ever night, so that hasn't been an issue.