Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is my doorbell making weird noises?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Danmooney
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wired doorbell is slowly ringing by itself. See video of my chime here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmO25ZBby2ZfzBNRR-hYrMWx_D4d

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be either an issue with the transformer or the power kit.

Did this ever work correctly?

Danmooney
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's been intermittent for a while. It is at its worst when it is dark out and the front light is off. I turn the light on and not so bad. Fine on a sunny day.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danmooney wrote:

It's been intermittent for a while. It is at its worst when it is dark out and the front light is off. I turn the light on and not so bad. Fine on a sunny day.

Normally the power kit diverts the normal power used by the doorbell around the chime (only sending power through the chime when the doorbell is pressed).

That isn't happening with your setup, which is why the chime keeps trying to ring.  There is potentially a safety concern, in particular the chime coil might heat up due to the continuous power it is getting.  So it is worth trying to fix this.

No idea why this is happening more at night, but it is possible that Nightvision in the doorbell has somewhat different power drain than normal color. 

I had a similar issue with my own doorbell some years back - replacing the transformer solved it.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation