Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Subscription needed to save recording?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ayi7203
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I just installed Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell. It looks like I need a subscription to retain the saved videos, is that correct? The reason why I asked is because, before I got this doorbell, I used to have an Arlo Pro camera (got it several years ago and I don't remember the exact model, if that matters), and I didn't need a subscription to keep the recordings. I only needed a subscription if I wanted to save the recordings for longer than a week or something like that. Is it different now where you need a subscription even if you don't necessarily need to go longer than a week?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ayi7203 wrote:

Hello, I just installed Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell. It looks like I need a subscription to retain the saved videos, is that correct?

Yes.

@ayi7203 wrote:

The reason why I asked is because, before I got this doorbell, I used to have an Arlo Pro camera (got it several years ago and I don't remember the exact model, if that matters), and I didn't need a subscription to keep the recordings.

Originally Arlo cameras were sold with 7 days of free cloud recording (with an additional restriction of no more than 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account).

Arlo stopped offering that for new camera models in 2018, when they launched the Ultra. But they still do provide the free cloud recording for the cameras that were sold with that feature.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ayi7203 wrote:

Hello, I just installed Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell. It looks like I need a subscription to retain the saved videos, is that correct?

Yes.

@ayi7203 wrote:

The reason why I asked is because, before I got this doorbell, I used to have an Arlo Pro camera (got it several years ago and I don't remember the exact model, if that matters), and I didn't need a subscription to keep the recordings.

Originally Arlo cameras were sold with 7 days of free cloud recording (with an additional restriction of no more than 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account).

Arlo stopped offering that for new camera models in 2018, when they launched the Ultra. But they still do provide the free cloud recording for the cameras that were sold with that feature.

ayi7203
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your explanation. I was hoping that wasn’t the case.

Kim23
Initiate
Initiate

No where did I find or realize one had to have a monthly plan, pay a few for the camera to record, none of the other competitive brands require this. A total scam!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation