Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Network Issues

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
john1442
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having the Black Screen of Death when I answer my doorbell on my smartphone.  Someone pushes the bell, and when I answer I get audio but the screen is all black and slightly pixelated.  When I hang up and switch to live view, I get good video but there is a 5-second lag.

I have tried changing the resolution, changing the location permissions to "always",  and have removed and re-added the device.  From what I have read, it sounds like a network issue of some sort.

However the weird thing is that I can't find the Arlo doorbell on my 2.4ghz network.  I have disabled a couple of devices I wasn't sure about but the rest are clearly labeled Google, Amazon, Samsung, etc.

If someone could help me find the device, or someway to locate even the IP address I think that would help get me started.

Also, if someone has any other suggestions about improving the network that would be great.  The router is within 30 feet of the doorbell, and because I get "live view" picture I don't think it's a signal strength issue, but some kind of network issue.  I have a Netgear Nighthawk router and I have turned off their proprietary firewall (called Armor).

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@john1442 wrote:

If someone could help me find the device, or someway to locate even the IP address I think that would help get me started.

Are you using a base station?  If you are, then you won't see the doorbell IP address.

One option is to turn the doorbell off briefly (removing the battery from the wirefree version; turning off the transformer breaker for the wired version).  Take a screen shot of your attached device list.  Then power up the doorbell, and compare the attached device list with the screen shot.

Are you getting the same behavior whether the phone is connected to your wifi (or not)?

john1442
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  I did find the video doorbell on my network (my router had it labelled as a chromecast, hence the confusion).  I am not using a base station.

I reset the device with the recessed button on the back of the doorbell.  It has started to work, although with a 5-6 second lag.  This happens also when my cell phone is not connected to wifi.

What can I do to improve the speed going to the video doorbell?  Are there some router settings like QoS?

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@john1442 wrote:

I reset the device with the recessed button on the back of the doorbell.  It has started to work, although with a 5-6 second lag.  This happens also when my cell phone is not connected to wifi.

Unfortunately there is a lag (IMO longer than it needs to be).  Try rebooting your router, that might help.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation