Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to start - what do I need

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TrainRick0
Follower
Follower

I don't know where to start.  I need video doorbells (front and rear) and would like to get camera for out-of-sight driveway/garage entrance.  

1.  What components do I need (I'm assuming two video doorbells and a camera, but what models?)

2. Is there any support devices beyond the phone apps that I need?

3. I use an iPhone and my wife uses an Android.  Will the system work with both phones simultaneously or do we have to choose one or the other?  

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TrainRick0 wrote:

1.  What components do I need (I'm assuming two video doorbells and a camera, but what models?)

There are two doorbell models (AVD1001 and AVD2001) - not sure which one is better for you, the main difference is that the AVD2001 can work w/o a transformer.

Any of the outdoor cameras would be ok for the garage.  I'd go with the Pro 5s or the Pro 4 myself.  The Essentials are less expensive, but the non-replaceable battery is a minus.

Check the wifi speed at the camera and doorbell locations using your phone (try the free OOKLA app).  You will need a good upload speed at the locations (preferably at least 2 mbps).

@TrainRick0 wrote:

2. Is there any support devices beyond the phone apps that I need?

You can access from a PC browser (my.arlo.com).  Some iPhone functions (subscription management) require the PC interface.  But everthing is available on Android.

If you don't have traditional doorbell chimes, then you might want the Arlo Chime 2 for the doorbells

@TrainRick0 wrote:

3. I use an iPhone and my wife uses an Android.  Will the system work with both phones simultaneously or do we have to choose one or the other?  

You'll need two accounts if you both access the cameras at the same time.  The cameras are onboarded to the primary account, and then shared with the "friend" account.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation