Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo will not connect to Eero mesh network

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Duc65
Follower
Follower

Why does Arlo not inform prospective purchasers that their product has major issues connecting to mesh networks?

I have tried the connection process over 6 times now trying to connect the wired doorbell to my Eero pro 6 gateway. I’ve disabled the 5ghz network, turned off Bluetooth and mobile data and on 6 occasions now the Arlo app cannot find the doorbell. Funnily enough the Eero system can see that it’s connected to the network!! On every occasion I go through the process the camera scans the qr code, but the app fails to find the doorbell.

Arlo support have been not very helpful, running through the process yet again, even getting me to turn the wifi and router off and on again - but no luck.

I reconnected an old cogeco modem and went through the process for the final time and surprise surprise it connected!! 
it’s clearly a compatibility issue, I don’t want to have to change back to an old modem just to use the doorbell as it’s not as good for the other 99% of the household products, so the outcome is I’m going to return the doorbell and get a competitors doorbell, I’ve wasted too much time trying to get this to work.

sorry Arlo - it’s 2023, your product should work with mesh systems.

19 REPLIES 19
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Eero does seem to create problems for Arlo onboarding - though it works properly with my Orbi mesh.

Do you have security features enabled on the Eero?  (Eero Plus)?

Turning off mesh elements during onboarding might also help.

I saw one post where the issue seemed to be caused by having more than 2 DNS servers configured in the router.  So that might be something else to check.

DrMSC1976
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem.  I am only able to connect to my EERO Pro 6 guest network, which is 2.4 GHz.   I have tried disabling 5 GHz on the main network, but cameras and doorbell still wont connect.  I just purchased 4 of the essential indoor cams, 3 pro 4 cams, and doorbell. Will be returning them all and going with Google if Arlo can’t fix this. Very frustrating.  Really disappointed in Arlo support as well. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to the Profile icon > Support Center > Select device > contact

DrMSC1976
Tutor
Tutor

I have called customer support multiple times.  They have the same response each time which has been worthless 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @DrMSC1976 

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

JLCoop
Aspirant
Aspirant

I added my devices on my guest network thanks to your post!  Thank you … no thanks to Arlo … boo for causing me stress and wasted hours!

CarlosGLeon
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same situation with Arlo cameras.  There should be a warning!  

Brent99
Tutor
Tutor

Wow! I feel the frustration .  I have the exact problem .  Eero system and doorbell won’t connect. I spent 4 months with Arlo support with my doorbell.  What a joke the support system is.  I tried everything they told me x100.  Shut down, reboot , move router, turn 5g off, etc  Their reply’s are ridiculous, you have so many days to reply and when  I did  I get the same message back 5x asking for more info that I already gave them . By the way , my doorbell still does not connect . I have an older doorbell that connected.  However, my hub went done and was told to delete and reinstall.  Guess what…. Hub cannot be found on app but eero shows it’s connected.  Now I have several cameras and doorbells that are useless.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Brent99 wrote:

Hub cannot be found on app but eero shows it’s connected.  Now I have several cameras and doorbells that are useless.  

Try turning off the eero wifi, and create a hotspot on your phone that has the same network name and passphrase.  Then onboard the doorbell using the hotspot wifi.  If that works, just turn off the hotspot and turn the Eero wifi back on.

Another thing you could try is turning off the eero elements accept the router (including turning off any beacons), and then try onboarding.  Not sure it the Eero lets you turn off 5 ghz wifi, but if it does, then disable that.  If it gives you a power setting, then maybe instead turn the 5 ghz power down as low as you can.

Trepang674
Tutor
Tutor

Support Center?  Hahahahaha!  I would have better luck having my cat fix this.  

Trepang674
Tutor
Tutor

I have been abandoned by support 4 times, so this is my last shot before I return the products to Best Buy for refund.  

1.  I have updated all firmware on Arlo and eero devices as well as my Apple devices.

2.  I have forgotten the wifi network on my tablet.

3.  I changed my eero settings 2.4ghz network and paused the 5 ghz band.

4. Connected to wifi

5.  Started my Arlo app

6.   Got the flashing blue light on the Camera.

7.  Scanned the barcode and heard the chime.

8.  No Arlo Devices Found on Network is the message I get everytime after a long wait.  

9.  Did the same procedure on my iPad.  Same result.  

Trepang674
Tutor
Tutor

I have also done the factory reset steps on the Arlo Cameras

jdudzy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having same problems with multiple resets. No luck

Brent99
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the advice.  I tried each of your suggestions and still won’t show up on app.  My router app shows it is connected and lights on base show it is connected.  However, base , doorbell, etc still cannot be found on app.  Of course, with base down all my devices are useless.  If you have any other suggestions let me know.  Thank you 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't own an eero so can't give directions but others here have found that changing a security setting in the router allows things to work with Arlo. A search here may give you the answer if someone who has already performed this step doesn't respond.

This thread may or may not be useful:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-5S-2K/Arlo-Pro-5-Camera-not-connecting-to-Eero-6-router/m-p/1...

RedPanda95113
Initiate
Initiate

I had trouble setting up my sisters Eero 6+ mesh network and Arlo essential cameras. This is what worked for me and my friend who built a similar home system. Disconnect the power to any Eero satellites being used, If it’s not the one main Eero unit connected to the modem. Then use the temporary disable for the 5 gigahertz signal for 10 minutes. This will leave the 2.4 gigahertz to easily connect to the one main Eero. The Eero satellites only communicate with each other using the 5 gigahertz signal. Unplugging the satellites is the only way to stop the signal. Now all 2.4 gigahertz signals will connect easily. Plug the satellites back in and you should be ok!! Yea it was a frustrating PAIN to figure that out!! I am not an IT guy, this is from what I was able to read and understand by the paperwork about the system. Heck it could all just be voodoo and I couldn’t tell the difference. I hope this works for you too! 

jazzguitar54
Aspirant
Aspirant

ah-I should've checked this about 6 hours ago!!

jazzguitar54
Aspirant
Aspirant

So--with older Arlo Base's the Eero will connect to the camera, but bring the camera away from the  base station and the camera will connect to the mesh router--apparently the Arlo base isn't needed and maybe you don't want it--i have an older camera (sync button on the bottom) and all the newer cameras will sync to the mesh router, not sure about disabling the 5ghz network, (I did this) and it connected, but I am told the mesh router doesn't need the 5ghz disabled to connect--good luck!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jazzguitar54 wrote:

So--with older Arlo Base's the Eero will connect to the camera, but bring the camera away from the  base station and the camera will connect to the mesh router

That depends on the camera.  Essential, Floodlight, Pro 4, Pro 5s cameras can connect to home wifi w/o the base. But not the original Arlo camera, Pro, Pro 2, Pro 3, Ultra or Ultra 2.

If you are just pressing the sync button on the camera, then you have a legacy camera that is connecting to your base, and not your mesh router.  In order to connect to the mesh, the camera needs to get the wifi name/password, which normally requires scanning a QR code.

@jazzguitar54 wrote:

not sure about disabling the 5ghz network, (I did this) and it connected, but I am told the mesh router doesn't need the 5ghz disabled to connect

It's not about connecting to the mesh wifi.  That generally works fine (and you can see the camera in the router's attached device list).  The problem is the final step of getting the camera into your account.  The app needs to find the camera on the mesh network in order for that to be completed.  It uses a broadcast protocol to do that.  When the phone is on the 5 ghz network, the router has to forward the broadcast to the 2.4 ghz wifi in order for the camera to receive the broadcast.  Some routers don't do that.

Honestly, it's a bad design on Arlo's part. 

@jazzguitar54 wrote:

apparently the Arlo base isn't needed and maybe you don't want it

Again, it is needed for some older camera models, but not all.

And some features (local storage, CVR, Homekit) require a base even if you have a new camera model.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation