Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Always records motion - is that right?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rctoyguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed a video doorbell yesterday, and I think I have it stopped from notifying me every time the wind blows a bush it can see - but it appears to still record every one of those activities. from what I'm reading, this is normal - it will always record, but the 'smart' notification is just for the notification... Is this correct? If so, you just deal with having a thousand video clips that are useless?

Does the activity zone help? If I put an activity zone that doesn't include the bush, will it still record every time that bush moves? Or are the activity zones only tied to the alerts it sends.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rctoyguy,

If you draw an activity zone that excludes the bush, recordings and notifications that normally would result from it's movement should not arrive. When creating an activity zone, you will only receive recordings and notifications for motion that occurs inside that zone.

JamesC

rctoyguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks - but does it record even if it doesn't send the notification? It appears to be recording every time.

Do recording and notifications happen independently of each other, I guess, is what I'm trying to ask.

G_Frog
Guide
Guide

I purchased the video doorbell last week and set some activity zones. However, it seems that the zones are intermittently ignored by the Video Doorbell system.  Sometimes they record everything and send a notification every time. Other times they seem to work correctly and only notify and record when something moves inside the activity zone.

I also own two Pro 2 cameras and the activity zones work perfectly every time. 

The video doorbell systems should be able to be paired and controlled through the base station like all other cameras.  This may help with this issue. 

I suspect that the Video Doorbell zones are not stored on the device, only on the Arlo web server.  So features such as activity zones, doorbell ring, voice communications depend on the speed and bandwidth of one's internet connection. 

Until Arlo corrects this issue, I guess we'll have to live with the constant alerts.         

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation