Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

I am on my 2nd Arlo wire free door bell. Whenever someone is at my door and presses the doorbell I get a phone call on all iOS devices. Whenever I answer the doorbell call I get a grey screen. I can use the message button, mute, and hand up, but I never get a video display of who is there. I seen a community chat back In 2021 with these same issues. They updated the firmware and it resolved the issue. I have answered the call on the same wifi, a different wifi, and cellular with no luck. Is anyone else experiencing this on iOS devices? 

25 REPLIES 25
batens
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have 2 Arlo Ultra 2 via Arlo Hub and 1 Arlo Video Doorbell (Wire-Free). It connected to the Arlo hub perfectly and the live video is great. However, the issue comes up when someone rings the bell and I receive the Arlo call on my phone. When I answer the call, I can hear live audio but I am unable to see live video. Instead all I see is a gray screen and a spinning circle, 14 of 15 times when someone rings on the door. 

My setup:

- 2 Arlo Ultra 2 cameras connected via Arlo Hub

- 1 Arlo Video Doorbell connected via Arlo Hub

- Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 Mesh

- iPhone 15 Pro

- All firmware and software updated to latest version, including router. 

- Arlo base station firmware: 1.23.0.0_1520_b69eb19

- Arlo video doorbell firmware: 1.8.0.0_4_4a16fed_758744c

- Full WiFi-signal in the Arlo Hub app and for the video doorbell. 

Troubleshooting so far:

- Removed and reinstalled the doorbell in Arlo app

- Hard reset of Arlo doorbell

- Lowered video quality

- Allowed location to be always used by Arlo app

- Moved the Arlo Hub from 5 meter to 1 meter to the doorbell. 

- Tried to connect doorbell via Wifi instead of hub, but have been unsuccessful after multiple tries.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

This is my second camera with the same issue. The first camera I did every reset, different network, attached to wi-fi and the base station with zero success. This second camera worked fine for the first couple of weeks and then it began acting just like the first camera. I have took my wife off the granted access and attach it just to my devices and it still does the same thing. I try to answer and just get a grey screen with a loading circle In the center. I go to look at the library and the recording will be pixelated and will be half a green screen. I have had Arlo for years with no issues until I got a doorbell camera. I hate paying for subscription when the products don’t work correctly. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would seem to indicate a signal strength/quality issue. Are you connecting to a hub or to your WiFi? If you bring the doorbell indoors for testing does it work properly? If so, you may need to move the hub to a somewhat different location (away from the router is a good first step) or use a WiFi extender near the doorbell to get a better signal. House construction, distance, number of walls with things on and in them, etc. can all get in there to cause problems.

Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

I have very good wi-fi with one of my cameras being in my barn in the back yard around 40 yards away. The doorbell is less than 10 ft from my router and hub. I have tried it on both, but it’s currently set up on the hub. My hub and router are beside each other since I have the older hub that has to be plugged into the router. Not sure I could move them. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @batens 

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Was your doorbell producing an image prior or was it aways a grey screen when answering a doorbell call? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Moving the hub as far as practical from the router can have a noticeable effect. Make sure you don't hurt the connection to other cameras when doing this.

Have you tried bringing the doorbell indoors for testing?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@batens 

Did you happen to find my message?

Thanks 

batens
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS

Yes, I do. No solution yet. It’s very frustrating. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you the shared access user or the main account holder?

Does this occur if you turn your wifi off on your phone and answer the call via your phone's mobile carrier data?

batens
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS I’m the main account holder. Yes, it works if connected to cellular network and the main node in our mesh network. But it doesn’t work when on any of the other mesh nodes. 

Butchrigby
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I have several motion activated recordings clear as they can be. But when the doorbell rings, nothing but a grey screen. I suspect the low voltage ringer has something to do with it. In any regard, it does not work. I have disconnected and reconnected a few times. I moved the hub, but the rest of my cameras work just fine and always have.

Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

I seen this issue happen in a forum a few years ago. They said they made a firmware update that solved the problem. I have done everything I know to do with no resolution. This issue makes me want to go to another provider, but I have to much money invested in Arlo. I just wish the company would fix the issue with it always happening. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Does this occur over Mobile data and wifi? Which version of the Arlo mobile app are you using?

Also, what is the model of phone that you're using the live stream?

Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

Happens over wifi and LTE. It happens whenever my phone is on the same wifi and other wifi networks. I am using app version 4.11.2 (7240). I have two iPhone 12’s, an older iPad, and a new iPad. All devices do the same thing. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Claymoss 

Thank you for the additional info, I passed this to the team and I will update this thread as soon as I have more info to share. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating reports of this behavior. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Chipmunk1990
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have the exact same issue. Any update on the fix?

Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

No fix. I spent months communicating through email and did every troubleshooting possible. I have 6 other Arlo cameras that have no issues, but the doorbell always has problems with the communication aspect. Records fine. 

Chas_M
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there guys. I’ve newly installed my Arlo Essentials video doorbell. Seems to work fine, except when someone pushes the door bell. The screen goes grey, unresponsive and delayed. I have brought the doorbell inside, right next to the hub - which is connected via Ethernet, and still nothing. Basically makes it as useless as a dumb doorbell. Any help would be great
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try rebooting the phone and reinstalling the app. If that didn't help, remove the doorbell from your account, reset it and add it back.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062934/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Video-Doorbell-Arlo-Secure-4-0

Claymoss
Tutor
Tutor

Tons of people are dealing with the doorbell issues. We are paying for a subscription and not utilizing it to its fullest. Do y’all have any idea on how to fix this? I have dealt with this for months. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Claymoss I do not have an ETA at the moment, but I will be sure to provide an update as soon as I receive more information. 

BabyDoll1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.  I know you said you'd update, but anything yet?  Still a gray screen. I've tried all the posted steps and suggestions and also restart my router again for good luck... Still gray screen. 😫

Thank you

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation