Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Operational restrictions

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
David4u
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB4500r2 base station that I have used with my Pro2 (H5 & H6) cameras. I recently purchased a AVD4001 AER 1.3 Video Doorbell. I'm so impressed with the 2K video quality that I am considering the Essential XL Gen2 camera. 

My current problem is that since adding the doorbell, all my scheduling is gone and the Doorbell Cam will not record to the base station as the cameras do.

Is it possible to have local event recording without an Arlo "plan" in place?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@David4u wrote:

Is it possible to have local event recording without an Arlo "plan" in place?

Not until your Gen 2 doorbell is supported by Arlo smarthubs.  Arlo says that is coming, but they haven't said when.

Also, your current VMB4500 hub supports local recording, but it does not support playback.  The only way to see the local recordings with your base is to eject the storage and connect it to a PC.  So you would also need to get a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub.

There are a lot of restrictions built into direct access to local storage, and IMO it offers a poor experience.  One thing you will find is that the local recordings are not available in the Feed.  To see them, you need to go to the devices page, and select the base, and then select storage settings.  This can only be done in the app (not my.arlo.com), and it can only be done from the primary account (not "friend" accounts).

David4u
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB -

Thank you for the data. From what you're saying, until Arlo allows Gen2 doorbells to be controlled be a 4540 or 5000 series smart hub, my only alternative for doorbell recordings is to sign up for the smallest one camera plan until the overlords at Arlo allow control/recording to the smart hub. Is that my best path for the time being??

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@David4u wrote:

From what you're saying, until Arlo allows Gen2 doorbells to be controlled be a 4540 or 5000 series smart hub, my only alternative for doorbell recordings is to sign up for the smallest one camera plan until the overlords at Arlo allow control/recording to the smart hub. Is that my best path for the time being??

Yes.

Note that activity zones is another subscription feature that you might need.  The doorbell can't be aimed, so the only options to control unwanted motion alerts are to reduce the motion sensitivity and/or set up activity zones.

David4u
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the confirmation! Very helpful.