Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ZeliardM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone have a hub with the new generation 2 video doorbell? If so, do you know if it supports local live streaming? I know that this is required to have a base station/smart hub and somewhere on this forum I saw someone state that base station/smart hub support with Apple HomeKit was not available right away. I would like to know if these things have been released and if it supports 2k local live streaming as that would be the only reason I would upgrade. Does this support being hardwired live the old hardwired doorbell? I haven't seen any documentation that supports this type on installation yet.

15 REPLIES 15
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ZeliardM,

Arlo Video Doorbell 2nd Generation does not need a local connection or base station/SmartHUb to stream in 2K. It can be installed wired or wire-free. For more informatin on wired installation, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063169/How-do-I-install-mount-and-hard-wire-my-Arlo-Video-Doorbell-2nd-Genera...

JamesC

ZeliardM
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Thanks for the quick response. Is the old adapter on the mechanical chime no longer needed with the new generation 2 doorbell?

Also, can you confirm that local live streaming in 2k is supported through the options before I purchase this as that would be the reason I do get one. All of the other cameras that support local live streaming in 2k/4k require a base station/smart hub for this so that is confusing to hear they don’t need it. If I’m on my local network with my new gen 2 doorbell, it will stream 2k to the app directly without going to the cloud without a base station/smart hub?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ZeliardM,

To clarify, your mobile device does not need to be local to stream the doorbell in 2K. It can be connected to a different network or LTE and 2K live streaming will be available.  A base station or SmartHub is not needed for this feature to work but, the doorbell and your mobile device still need to be able to communicate with the Arlo cloud to initiate the live stream.

All requirements to install the doorbell in a wired configuration are listed in the article linked above. There are no adapters or attachments required.

I hope that helps.

JamesC

ZeliardM
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Thanks for the clarification, will local live streaming be a feature that is available in the future for the new doorbell instead of going through the cloud? This is an option for some cameras, just didn’t know if the doorbell would support it now that it can stream in 2k.

See the KB article below:

https://kb.arlo.com/000063029/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-2K-or-4K-local-live-streaming-for-my-Arlo-c...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ZeliardM,

The cameras and streaming device must have an internet connection. I do not have any information on whether or not features will be available in the future to change this.

JamesC

ZeliardM
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

I purchased the new 2k devices, doorbell and essential outdoor cameras. I can inform you that the information in this article is wrong:

https://kb.arlo.com/en_US/000063217

It states that the devices must be on the same network to stream 2K, I can confirm that on cellular and on other wi-fi networks, that when live streaming through the Arlo App, it still tells be that the stream is 2K Live in the upper right-hand corner of the stream. It appears that they are streaming 2K all the time, not just locally.

Also, the article states that if you enable 2K Streaming in the settings, there is nowhere in the settings to enable 2K Live Streaming on these cameras and doorbell.

I am not sure if this is a bug or not.

I can also state that the motion detection on the doorbell is horrible. I replaced my old doorbell, Model AVD1001, with this one, AVD4001, and with my old model, I was getting recordings of people on the sidewalk about 20 feet in front of my house and cars on the road. With the new model, I don't get anything until I walk up in front of the doorbell. I have the sensitivity set to 100% and still nothing. No notifications.

I am using the latest version of the app, the latest firmware, and I am running iOS 17.1 for my phone.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ZeliardM,

I will reach out to the knowledge base team to review that article for correction. As mentioned above, Essential Generation 2 devices stream in 2K regardless of the location of the streaming device.

Some adjustments were with motion detection on Generation 2 Arlo Video Doorbells relative to previous models, so you may see some differences when comparing them. Some users experienced issues where previous model doorbells would detect activity beyond the PIR limit too often, resulting in more false alerts/detections that expected. 20 feet is beyond the intended detection range for the Generation 2 doorbell. (up to about 16 feet per spec).

JamesC

ZeliardM
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Thanks for reaching out about the clarification of the article. It would be nice if the devices had local live streaming available when home instead of having to go out to the cloud to get the streams though. Hopefully this can be something that is looked at or enabled when base station connectivity is enabled?

I actually preferred the way the motion detection was working on the first generation wired doorbell, it kept me from having to have a second camera in that location to cover the area that the doorbell would not reach.

I understand that according to the documentation it should detect motion at 16ft, but I get nothing until I am about 3 feet away. I have set the sensitivity to 100% and walked within 5 to 10 feet of the device in Motion Detection Mode and I do not get any detections.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ZeliardM,

We'll reach out to you via email to gather more information about the range issue you are experiencing.

JamesC

ZeliardM
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

They have and will be replacing the doorbell. Will update if I have any issues with that one.

Thanks for the support and responses!

ZeliardM

Arlo1342
Apprentice
Apprentice

2k or 4k for that matter streaming is a joke, it's nonsense, it doesn't exist in real terms, another false sales promise from arlo.

You need to be on the same wifi network as your base station to stream in 2k to your phone app, I mean what use is that?

Why would I stream to my mobile phone when I can just walk the 6 feet and look out the window!!!!

I want to stream in 2k (from my pro3 cameras) to wherever I am in the world or what's the point?

I believe and I'm going to put this to a hard test, that whilst my camera can capture 2k video and send it I think the arlo servers are down scaling it to 720p or less because I don't have a subscription, so essentially choking my resolution unless I pay for it.

There's no way you can tell me the image below is 2K, when my phone is 4 feet from my hub and the camera is 6 feet away from my phone, it looks like 420p that image if it's lucky.

And yes I have it on best video, my upload speed regularly exceeds 30mbps ( the apparent minimum needed is just 3mbps) and the camera is mains powered as well.

Screenshot_2023-12-07-19-50-16-93_b07d45108e326d19169bbaeabc36ea7a.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo1342,

While Pro 3 requires your streaming device to be on the same network for 2K streaming, this community discussion thread is about the 2nd generation Arlo Video Doorbell, which does not require a base station or your mobile device to be on the same network to live stream in 2K. Arlo Essential 2nd generation cameras also do not have these requirements.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlo1342 wrote:

I think the arlo servers are down scaling it to 720p or less because I don't have a subscription, so essentially choking my resolution unless I pay for it. 

Arlo doesn't do that, but some mobile providers do limit streaming to 480p (SD).  Not sure if that affects Arlo playback or not.

Arlo uses lower bandwidth than I'd like, and that does limit the visual clarity.  But if you look at the resolution (for instance, in a downloaded MP4), you will that it isn't reduced (unless you digitally zoom in the camera).

@Arlo1342 wrote:

I want to stream in 2k (from my pro3 cameras) to wherever I am in the world or what's the point?

Personally I am ok with 1080p livestreaming, since when I am away I am normally viewing recordings and not livestreaming.  And those will be 2K/4K.

Though obviously people use their cameras in different ways, and I do agree that 2K/4K livestreaming should be available as an option when not at home.

felixperro
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have the Arlo doorbell AVD4001 and cannot livestream anywhere near 2k. When it records video it's at 2k, the setting I chose, but livestreaming with an active call on the same network via the doorbell is potato quality, or 720p at best. The WiFi signal reports good and I have gigabit internet and a AX wifi 6 router,  capable of high throughput. Other video apps like FaceTime and Zoom do work at higher resolution,  just not the new Arlo AVD4001. Disappointing.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

felixperro,

If possible, try moving the doorbell to a different location and initiate a live stream as a test. Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation