Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wifi and Base

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dnak
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a lan/wifi network that covers my whole house, but the base station doesn’t.

If I connect the cameras directly to the wifi, and the base station is on the same network, can I still have local recording or do the cameras need to be on the base station’s built-in wifi for that? Seems like a very common setup but can’t find a definitive answer besides suggestions to buy a second base station.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dnak wrote:
Thanks. So it’s not that they need to be on the same network, it is that they need to be on the internal wifi? 

Ultra and Ultra 2 cameras can only connect to the closed base station wifi.  Pro 3 floodlight, Pro 4, and Essential cameras give you the choice of connecting to either directly to home wifi or a base.

But in all cases, local storage requires the camera to be connected to the base wifi.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dnak wrote:
If I connect the cameras directly to the wifi, and the base station is on the same network, can I still have local recording or do the cameras need to be on the base station’s built-in wifi for that?

The cameras need to be on the base station's wifi.

dnak
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. So it’s not that they need to be on the same network, it is that they need to be on the internal wifi? That’s a bummer.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dnak wrote:
Thanks. So it’s not that they need to be on the same network, it is that they need to be on the internal wifi? 

Ultra and Ultra 2 cameras can only connect to the closed base station wifi.  Pro 3 floodlight, Pro 4, and Essential cameras give you the choice of connecting to either directly to home wifi or a base.

But in all cases, local storage requires the camera to be connected to the base wifi.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation