Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB 5000 wifi password

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ian_Dickson
Tutor
Tutor

I understand that the VMB 5000 generates its own WiFi and that the Arlo Ultra cameras link to this wifi directly. I can’t understand why Arlo won’t give users the default password for this VMB 5000 WiFi. That way using an App like Speedtest users could measure the upload and download speeds at the sites they plan to mount cameras to ensure the wifi signal is strong enough to support the camera. When I purchased the Arlo system I hadn’t realised that the cameras don’t use you’re home networks wifi to communicate with the hub. For users with strong home WiFi’s, I use Netgear Orbi which is amazing, this home signal is much better than the VMB 5000 one. I appreciate the VMB 5000 base station will flash orange if one or more cameras is out of range but this is much poorer than actually measuring the wifi strength in an app. Is there anyway to boost the VMB 5000’s wifi signal to make it stronger or better still to use an alternative home wifi to allow the cameras to communicate with the base station.

1 REPLY 1
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

right now the only thing you can do is add additional hubs, similar to adding a booster.  The Arlo hub just isn't that great for signal which is a shame because many would prefer a Wi-Fi system to put cameras out away from the main house.  It's not something they couldn't fix with a new upgraded hub.  Just like some routers are far better than others and certainly better than older ones.  Hope it's in the future plans, if it is they should even consider the newer wi-fi 6 for the faster throughput, gamers are using it and even new Samsung phones are capable.  Time will tell.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation