Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra night recordings 3 secs to focus

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
swnkp000
Tutor
Tutor

I bought an Ultra to replace a Pro 2. For some reason all night recordings take about 3 seconds to come into focus once it detects motion.  It's starts out black and then fades into night vision. By the time it comes into focus, most cause for the recording has passed.  If a car or person very slowly goes by then I would be able to see what's going on.  I 've adjusted the brightness, turned off the HDR and still the same issue.  This was never the case with the Pro 2 or other Ultra cameras I bought a year ago.  I don't know if it's the software or hardware that's the issue.  Both are up-to-date.

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, Arlo cameras do not focus - they're a fixed focus lens that uses the extreme wide angle lens with its large depth of field to achieve adequate focus for almost everything.

It would seem that the issue is the connection between the camera and hub. If you bring the camera closer to the hub for testing, does it work better? If so, moving the hub and/or camera should help.

swnkp000
Tutor
Tutor

It is not the connection.  The camera is 10 feet from the hub, line-of-sight through a window.  There was no issues with a previous camera in the same location or cameras further away.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the camera plugged into AC power?  Or is it running on battery?

swnkp000
Tutor
Tutor

Battery.  Same as the others, which don't have the night recording issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@swnkp000 wrote:

Battery.  Same as the others, which don't have the night recording issue.

Which rules out the possibility of Foresight being a factor.

Have you tried swapping the camera with another one, and see if it makes any difference?

It might be easier to see what's happening if you share one of the videos.

swnkp000
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for trying to help, but I do not want climb up and down the ladder to swap out for another camera, which I know works and doesn't have the issue.  I bought this one to "upgrade" since Arlo will be ending service to the older cameras.  

swnkp000
Tutor
Tutor

Seems this forum won't let me upload videos from my hard drive, I don't have permission to upload. Only asks for URL. Anyway, I'll just return this one and try another one. Thanks for trying to help. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need to provide a link to a video rather than the video itself. Select a video and use its menu to share it so you can copy the link to be posted.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation