Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Low wifi signal

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ppanzica
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having a problem finding a good spot in the house for the smart hub that will support all four cameras. I've tried the front, back and center and all spots give me grief with one camera or another. This in turn drains the camera battery because it's always trying to connect. Sometimes it will connect other times it won't. I've ran a spectrum analyzer in the house to understand the frequency and channels that are being utilized by me and other neighbors. I've changed channels on the 2.4Ghz on my home system, but I'm not sure where I can do that in the smart hub. So is there any solutions out there and if so what are they? I'm also curious if I were to add another smart hub to the system would that give me better results... basically one for the front and one for the back of the house. All feedback is appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I have seven cameras with the furthest from the hub being about 45 feet.  I sometimes have to reboot 4 or five times to get the hub to choose channels that give a good signal to all of them and then things are good until something happens and the hub picks other channels again.  To get this though I had to raise my hub to within 5 inches of the ceiling, anything lower and a couple cameras would be red and not necessarily the farthest.  The hub signal is not what my AC 3100 is.  With that my phone gets wi-fi across the field and I can stream 4K in my RV 70 feet away.  You can't access the hub to change ch, all you can do is set the ch on your router and reboot the hub forcing it to use that ch.  Then reset your router to auto and the hub will stay there until something causes it to reboot.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As above mentioned, yes the Hub and bases will normally follow and sit on the same channel as your router.

Not much to do this other than moving it away from the main router.

( Netgear/Arlo determined that there are less issues if on the same channel when units are near each other )

Best you can do is pick the best channel for you router base on your location and let the hub follow.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ppanzica wrote:

I'm also curious if I were to add another smart hub to the system would that give me better results... basically one for the front and one for the back of the house. 

This can certainly help (and is something I do myself).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation