Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Considering the micro SSD instead of subscription. How well does it work?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Mike_2021
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our configuration:

-----------------------------

* Arlo Ultra 2 with four cameras

* An Arlo 3 floodlight camera.

How will these work with the micro-ssd card, say, 512 GB?

Will we get video recorded for all the devices? I think I read someone had issues recording the floodlight camera, but I could have misunderstood that.

I'm assuming I'll get about a week's worth of video due to the size and frequency of recording before Arlo overwrites the older ones.

Would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't recall if anyone has tested a 512GB microSD card so you may just have to try it to see. I have a 128GB card that works fine.

As for the amount of recordings it can store, unless the cameras are recording all the time, 512GB seems like gross overkill. Most of my cameras are being locally recorded on that 128GB card and have oodles of space left over after a month's worth of recordings (oodles = >100GB). YMMV.

All cameras synced to the hub should be locally recording. There have been instances of missing videos but that's not the norm.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't recall if anyone has tested a 512GB microSD card so you may just have to try it to see. I have a 128GB card that works fine.

As for the amount of recordings it can store, unless the cameras are recording all the time, 512GB seems like gross overkill. Most of my cameras are being locally recorded on that 128GB card and have oodles of space left over after a month's worth of recordings (oodles = >100GB). YMMV.

All cameras synced to the hub should be locally recording. There have been instances of missing videos but that's not the norm.

Mike_2021
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much.

Is there a 128 GB brand micro sd card you could recommend?

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I tend to suggest any name brand. Not sure if I have a Samsung or Sandisk in use but it really shouldn't matter.

DavyWavyGravy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.  I upgraded to a VMB5000 and a Sandisk 32Gb SSD but found that my Arlo chimes kept losing the hub. 

I read somewhere that this was related to using local storage and since removing the SSD have found the problem of losing the Chimes has stopped

Anyone know if the SSD bug has been fixed please ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's odd - I have local storage using a microSD card (not SSD - they're different) as well as a chime connected to my VMB5000 with no issues and haven't heard of this before. A brute force method might be to remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh to clear out strange behavior. Be sure to note all settings, modes, rules, etc. before doing this to speed the rebuild.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation