Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best mounting plan for Ultra cameras

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Sterg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just setting up an Ultra 2-camera system/ Ultra+ Series. I received a magnetic mount and a threaded bracket type mount. Packaging said 2 mounts were included but didn't specify, so I guess that's accurate ... Which mount type do people prefer as far as usability, security etc.

Thinking I'd mount one on the side of the house, along a roofline aimed at side yard and two doors. It will be in the open to weather elements. Other probably will be on the underside of a roof that overhangs a backyard deck. So less exposure.

Thinking probably the magnetic over the deck, and the metal bracket on the side of the house. Is the metal one pretty impervious to weather? We're in Montana so not much rain but periodic strong winds. I would also consider buying another mount if either one might not be satisfactory for my situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sterg wrote:

Thinking probably the magnetic over the deck, and the metal bracket on the side of the house. Is the metal one pretty impervious to weather? We're in Montana so not much rain but periodic strong winds. I would also consider buying another mount if either one might not be satisfactory for my situation.

I haven't had any issues with either mount in the weather, and that does include some strong winds.  So I'd use whichever is more convenient for the location.

@Sterg wrote:

Thinking I'd mount one on the side of the house, along a roofline aimed at side yard and two doors. It will be in the open to weather elements. Other probably will be on the underside of a roof that overhangs a backyard deck. So less exposure.

A couple of general points here:

You will need to take down the cameras from time to time, in order to charge them.  That of course includes the winter.  The time between charges will depend on the amount of activity in the area - don't assume that you'll get the 3-6 month amount that Arlo advertises.  That assumes rather light activity.  1-2 months is common.  Also, if the cameras misbehave, you might need to resync them.  That also requires taking them down.

Also, the motion detection uses passive infrared sensors (PIR).  They can detect people up to about 20-25 feet reliably.  Vehicles can be often detected from further away, but it does depend on the details (suprisingly, some users have reported that paint color does seem to make a difference).  The cameras are best at detecting motion across the field of view.  

Another factor that is relevant to you is the operating temperature - the batteries won't function below -4F.  You can get the cameras to run at lower temperatures if you connect them to power (using the outdoor charger accessory), and remove the batteries.  The outdoor charger has a 25' cable length.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sterg wrote:

I haven't had any issues with either mount in the weather, and that does include some strong winds.  So I'd use whichever is more convenient for the location.

@Sterg wrote:

A couple of general points here:

You will need to take down the cameras from time to time, in order to charge them.  That of course includes the winter.  The time between charges will depend on the amount of activity in the area - don't assume that you'll get the 3-6 month amount that Arlo advertises.  That assumes rather light activity.  1-2 months is common.  Also, if the cameras misbehave, you might need to resync them.  That also requires taking them down.

Also, the motion detection uses passive infrared sensors (PIR).  They can detect people up to about 20-25 feet reliably.  Vehicles can be often detected from further away, but it does depend on the details (suprisingly, some users have reported that paint color does seem to make a difference).  The cameras are best at detecting motion across the field of view.  

Another factor that is relevant to you is the operating temperature - the batteries won't function below -4F.  You can get the cameras to run at lower temperatures if you connect them to power (using the outdoor charger accessory), and remove the batteries.  The outdoor charger has a 25' cable length.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation