Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've spent hours per day over the last week trying to figure out why some of my Arlo Ultra Cameras stopped recording on motion.  I have two different Ultra systems on two different accounts in two different states and both systems have this problem. Symptoms are:  Arlo app shows last activity hours ago on some cameras, when I know there was activity during this time that should have been recorded.  No recordings in the library for those certain cameras either, no surprise there.  I've spent hours resetting batteries in cameras, rebooting the base station and even factory reset the base station and then rebuilding my cameras from scratch. The problem re-appears and it isn't always a specific camera that stops recording. The problem moves to different cameras. I do have some cameras that have a weaker signal that the others, but it isn't the weakest camera that always goes to sleep.  Sometimes the weaker one will stay working but the stronger cameras can also be the one that goes to sleep instead. The only way to "wake up the camera" seems to be to either remove and resync the camera or reboot the base station. Despite a short restoral period, the problem appears again.  After hours with Arlo Chat, going through the painful processes they must ask you to do or try - nothing got fixed. I finally got escalated to Level 2 support. Finally I was informed that the Ultra Base station received a firmware update on July 29th -the "exact day" that my problems started.  My fault for not checking the Arlo website for a list of recent updates - it was there, Arlo Ultra Base update on July 29th.  Unfortunately, Arlo cannot revert to the previous firmware version.  At present, they don't know what came out in that update that "broke things".  Anyway, I hope this report helps others to avoid the painful amount of wasted time troubleshooting that I've spent.  Oh, another thing - I also have Arlo Pro cameras at the same location and they all work fine, they don't have this problem.    Last thing: I've seen many claim that the Arlo Ultra systems don't have the range to cameras that the Arlo Pro has/had.  I also have seen this.  An Arlo Level 2 technician told me today that is absolutely not possible or true. If the power and sensitivity isn't less, the antenna pattern must be different. The result -not as good of range.  I hope this helps at least one person! Take care and Good Luck!   Matt

120 REPLIES 120
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
There is a fix being tested right now for the ultra cameras not recording on Motion. If all goes well, we will all be corrected soon. Good luck to us all.
bstone01
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: All Ultra cameras that aren't on CVR won't record. I'm so glad I spent $1,150 to upgrade only to experience continued firmware issues from Arlo/Netgear. The promise of tech that never works is beyond annoying.

SuperZwu
Star
Star

@HazzMatt  - Thx for the beautiful message 🙂 

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I can confirm this is happening and actively being tested! Hopeful for a fix here!
KWish
Initiate
Initiate
Discovered my ultras are not recording any events just before I went on holiday.My pro 2 cameras are working fine on the same system.Reported it to arlo and was told there are issues with this happening and gave me a case number.In a whole week away I have received not one communication from arlo about what is being done to rectify this serious problem.The whole week my house was left unprotected especially my cars.It seems they take your money and leave you to your own devices.Utterly unacceptable!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Had Ultra stop too recently.... but are you alble to restart the base remotely... It fixed my issue.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Biskitboy
Tutor
Tutor

Well, I was super excited to get 3xUltra's and install them today just to find out that I'm also part of the failure to record motion club.

I've had 8 of the original Arlo's working since 2015 without much of an issue. Hopefully, this will be sorted out soon. I was hoping all the Ultra issues would have been sorted out by now, but it seems that isn't the case.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hang tight guys - I’ve had a beta firmware on my base and cameras for nearly 48 hours now in testing. All is working well - no more frozen/missed motion triggers. Also the sound is working fine as I have another thread open about glitchy sound in Live streaming on the Ultras. I think a fix is coming soon - looks like they’ve got it resolved!
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thanks Mjbeuke, what else can you tell us about the firmware?

Its working great no matter if you are at home or away?

Anything else you can think to mention?

Thanks!!!!!
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

In support of what a couple others have mentioned, yes testing has been going on and after the hub update I only had once that a camera didn't trigger.  Then a camera update went out for testing and have not had a single issue since (fingers crossed) I even believe them to be functioning a bit better at night.  I have been doing a walk around of my 6 cameras a couple times a day,  put a dog on a long leash out there a couple times around the house to check and driven to areas where cameras are set to record a few times and then watching the videoes to be sure.  Hopefully you will all have this soon.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm also a firmware tested and have had very similar results so far, including 1 camera that was still not motion recordings at first. Seems to be ok now. I have two separate Ultra systems testing the beta release. Good Luck to All. I hope we're all good soon.
Bucfan444
Initiate
Initiate

This is been an ongoing issue since the last firmware update which multiple users have reported and I have been keeping track of multiple threads in this forum. I too am extremely frustrated with the situation. Arlo is supposedly working on a firmware update to rectify this but I have been without recording capabilities for over three weeks at this point.  Reset in the base station correct the problem temporarily But even this fix only last one day. Unbelievable considering the cost of these Arlo systems

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks @LandJS so you have the testing hub and camera firmware too?  Wow, I wish I did but hopefully Arlo will approve it and release it soon to the public.

@Mjbeuke @LandJS please keep the feedback coming 🙂

KWish
Initiate
Initiate
This product was not ready to be sold.Too many glitches and all we are are product testers but we are paying top money and in the meantime it’s open season for burglars!
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Everything is working 100% for me - I have my wife added as an authorized user with her separate account and Geofencing is also working perfectly either when she or I are away it is properly setting my system to my home or away custom modes I have setup.

Cameras are recording on triggered events every time - night vision is kicking on at the point of recording (and not starting out dark for a few seconds then kicking on) and audio - both on recordings and on Live View on 4K resolution - is no longer choppy. 4K recordings to the MicroSD are also properly recording and showing up in full resolution.

Everything with the Ultras is working 100% for me! Seems like there’s other testers with the same results - it looks like Arlo has got it!
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

n1976jmk it is nice when it works and I just like doing it sometimes, I used to beta test some in the 80's and 90's and can tell you it can be a nightmare when it doesen't lol

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
LandsJS
and
mJBeuke,

Who got you guys added to the test firmware? PM me if you’d like!

Yes I beta tested throughout my years too.

Thanks guys!
Qia
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anybody has idea went the “ motion detection “ issue going to be fixed???

is almost 2 months, and, a lot of Arlo ultra customers don’t have the cameras working “ properly “.

the cameras won’t record the motions to the library.

please we need to know, what happens??

Gramm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Patiently waiting for updates on this issue. The same exact problem with both my base stations. Only the Ultras connected stop recording. The Pros are not affected.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is working on a fix for this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information on the fix.

Thank you, JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue is resolved with the latest SmartHub firmware release. For more information on this firmware, take a look here: Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.12.3.2_134_185068d - 19th August 2019

Thank you,

JamesC