Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Bayfunding
Follower
Follower

I just bought a brand new Ultra2 (2 Aug 2023). I already had 3 of the Pro3s around my property but the video resolution on those were TERRIBLE. So, I figured the Ultra2 would be an extreme upgrade. NOPE. I set it up side by side with the Pro3 and the images look pretty much identical. They're both fuzzy and have digital artifacts. There's just no way that this is actually 4k. No way. If you look at any 4K video or image, they're just completely different in terms of quality to the Arlo Ultra 2 4k.

Does anyone know why the "4K" Ultra2 looks almost identical to the Pro3? And why the resolution is so horrible?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Ultra has a wider FOV so the additional resolution is partially mitigated by each pixel having to cover a wider view. Then there's compression which helps minimize how far in you can zoom and still see details. It can also be the actual quality of the view - post screenshots and links to videos so we can see. What you think is horrible may be normal and there's an adjustment in expectations needed for technical reasons.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If auto zoom & track is set in the Ultra, then you should disable it.  Otherwise you will get 1080p recordings.

One test is to zoom in both cameras from the app while livestreaming, and how the video compares.  You should see more details in the Ultra.  But I agree that there isn't much difference if you are using the cameras fully zoomed out. 

FWIW, I have often suggested that Arlo provide an option to get higher bitrates.  Personally I'd love an option to get 3x the bitrate with 7 days retention instead of 30. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

FWIW, I have often suggested that Arlo provide an option to get higher bitrates.  Personally I'd love an option to get 3x the bitrate with 7 days retention instead of 30. 

This is a very good idea and would probably save Arlo more dosh, but the question is whether their equipment can handle things. 

Have you Twittered the CEO directly? 

LakeLivingWI
Initiate
Initiate

I agree, the video quality is pretty terrible. I have 300Mb Fiber Eero Mesh and one of the access points is 5-10 feet away. Even on the "Best Video" I can't even read a licensee plate 20 feet away. I have a Google Nest Cam next to it and the Nest Cam is clearly superior. I'm very disappointed with Arlo's claim of "4K video" quality.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

4k doesn't mean you can see all details. The angle of view is 180 degrees - download an image taken by a fisheye camera lens, resample it to equivalent resolution and then zoom in. Bitrate and compression gets in there, too.

Arlo has never sold these as ID-type cameras which would require a much longer focal length and a much narrower FOV to see the details. These cameras are activity-type, which shows a HUGE view, meaning each pixel has to cover a significantly wider view than an ID camera.

Reasonable expectations involve at least some understanding of the specs and technology.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation