Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sagebrush22
Tutor
Tutor

Cannot turn on the spotlight on any camera using the phone app on my local network. I can turn on the spotlights using the app in cellular. All other functions work on local network. iPhone SE IOS 15.7

All firmware up to date. weird?

72 REPLIES 72
JARLoUser
Star
Star

This issue has already been happening for over a month now. Is there any update on the status of this being fixed or are we just being left in the dark?

sweeks888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only over Wi-Fi, Spotlight works fine when Wi-Fi is turned off and mobile data only used.  Also, not happening on all smartphones and some iPhone users have gotten the spotlight to function correctly by updating Arlo app and iOS version.  Not so with Android users, updating the app and latest Android version has no effect.  Also uninstalling devices and reinstalling them does nothing, as well as uninstalling the Arlo app and reinstalling.  Clearing Cache does nothing also, along with rebooting phone... issue not fixed by doing any of these.  Also this issue was not present several months ago, within the Arlo app while on Wi-Fi.

JARLoUser
Star
Star

Its beginning to sound like the issue lies within the app. 

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still having the same issue on iPhone app, Ultra 2 cams, and VMB5000 hub.  Light button doesn’t work reliably when on my local network, works normally on cellular data.  

Now, my Pro 3 spotlight has developed a similar problem, the light won’t go on with either cellular or local network, and it keeps going offline like they all used to do not to long ago.

C’mon Arlo, this is getting ridiculous.  No team of programmers would take anywhere near this long to fix a simple coding error in any major company I’ve ever worked in.  If you can’t fix it in a reasonable time frame, then maybe roll it back to the version that worked.  

ccink99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep, same here. I'm using the iOS with an iPhone SE and I cannot get the spotlight to work with my home wifi. Not sure, if it's the OS issue or something else, highly frustrating.

ccink99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Totally agree! It's a shame too but brushing off customers, sooner or later you'll lose your customer base to a better, more reliable brand.

Bhughes412
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. Just stop making updates that create more problems. It’s getting tiring. 

sagebrush22
Tutor
Tutor

It's been six weeks since I started this discussion. Nothing has changed other than a whole lot of people have the same problem. what is the status of getting this fixed? cannot turn on the ultra camera spotlights while on the local WiFi network. Only can turn on the spotlights in cellular mode.

JARLoUser
Star
Star

Yes can we get an update already. Its honestly surprising how this is not being handled better. Fix these issues please I am pretty sure I speak for all of us in saying that for the amount of money we have paid for these devices and monthly services to use them that we deserve a properly working product. Along with timely updates on what is being done to fix the issue at hand.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still not working, this is utterly ridiculous. It’s getting to be the time to take some serious group action, whether it’s viral you tube and other social media videos illustrating the issues and warning prospective buyers, or a class action demanding full refunds and compensation for non-performance.

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just purchased Ultra 2 and Ultra 2 XL cameras last week. I can't get the manual spotlight to work either. On top of that, I can't even restart the base station as it says "invalid activation". This is just crazy and disappointing. I have owned Arlo Pro2s since 2018. I was expecting more from the Ultra 2 and the app itself.

JARLoUser
Star
Star

So you all update the apps logo but still can't bother fixing the spotlight issue? Great job arlo

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep, I just returned 2 Ultra 2XLs and 6 Pro 4 XLs to Costco due to the ongoing, unaddressed issues and lack of communication. I’m getting ready to take down my 5 outdoor Ultra 2 XLs and solar panels pretty soon and return them as well since I can’t use the spotlights from my wifi only iPad. I have 5 old Pro/Pro2s indoors that I’ll keep since they work well enough despite the lag time and don’t have spotlights to malfunction. It’s unfortunate, the Ultras had such good promise and potential.

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I contacted the ARLO support and they have made a ticket for me.  I am waiting for them to get back to me.  I did figure out that the issue is only when I am connected to my home wifi.  When I use cellular data,  I can manually turn the spotlights on and off.   This seems to be an issue with the app that needs to be fixed ASAP.    I am using a android Samsung Galaxy s22 ultra.

JARLoUser
Star
Star

This has been a known issue since Oct. I among many others have constantly brought this to their attention but as you can see nothing has been done about it yet. I don't think they care about fixing the app

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well that is exceptionally disappointing to hear.  I am still in the window to return my arlo ultra 2s and XLs and just put my pro2s back up.  I was looking at Eufy but apparently they have security issues.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I am pressing to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have more info to share. If you are not already, connecting to AP Mode "directly to router" if applicable, should be a temporary fix for the spotlight. 

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

ShayneS, I thought Ultra2s require the hub and cannot connect directly to the router as you suggested?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Stevewins

Correct, if your camera is capable you can try this method, there are various camera models reported in this thread. You can also try adjusting the spotlight from the web portal for the time being.

Thank you 

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

ShayneS, the web portal won’t let me view my cameras, when I try it takes me to a screen wanting me to buy a subscription.  I’m still on the trial subscription on my Ultra 2s so I don’t want to buy anything yet. 

BTW, I’ve discovered another bug in the latest updates. The power level and charging indicator doesn’t work on iOS on 3 of my 4 Ultra 2s with Arlo solar panels. It stays stuck on 100% and charging right up until the battery dies. It does work on android, I’ll open a new thread on this issue.

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here.  I am finding more issues with the app.  The notification badge on the app just accumulates the number of motions but never clears unless you force stop the app.  If you live view with the app and then stop the camera,  it does not change the picture to the last viewed.  Normally it will say "just now" in the left upper corner of the screen.  There are some serious app issues going on.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dionysius, it does retain the last picture of a live view on iOS, but not on android, in my case(s).

cgmixn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still waiting for a fix for this spotlight issue. Any update?

cgmixn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update? this sucks

JARLoUser
Star
Star

They fixed it for a bit then it screwed up again. Wow Arlo... You all are charging almost 20$ now for services and adding a home security system with all these issues? You all need to really fix yourselves, your getting a lot of bad publicity.

Discussion stats