Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
talv
Guide
Guide

One of my cameras is set in the rules to record the full 120s or 2 min.  It has not been changed and is still the same, but today it recorded videos at 1:22, 1:59, 1:30, :16s, and 42s. Why is recording for random amounts of time all of a sudden when it has been recording at the set rule time of 2m for quite a while?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reboot the hub and reinsert the camera battery to get back to a known condition. However, signal strength/quality can also cause this so check both the WiFi indicators in the app as well as for new/moved/old wireless devices near the hub and/or cameras.

talv
Guide
Guide

I am also having several problems with cameras which seem to be from poor wifi signal.  My wifi is included in my modem from cable company. I am wondering if it is better to set up hub with separate wifi equipment than the modem? Has anyone else tried this?

dcfox1
Master
Master

The Ultra 2 has it's own closed wifi connection from the Camera to the Hub, not your home wifi network. You can move the hub to another location to improve you signal as long as you have an Ethernet input  like a  wifi extender or powerline extender with an Ethernet port to connect to. I used a powerline extender once and not expensive. Just moving the Hub as far as the cable would allow from the router also helps. 

talv
Guide
Guide

Instructions said to plug ethernet cable into router (modem). So I don't need to do that if it has its own wifi? Otherwise, modem is in small bedroom and can't move it or use extended ethernet cable. So if it has its own wifi will it connect to internet without connecting to modem?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@talv wrote:

So if it has its own wifi will it connect to internet without connecting to modem?

No, it needs to be connected to the modem over ethernet.  Its wifi only connects to the cameras - not the internet.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@talv  That is why I said if you move the Hub you need a Ethernet connection  to connect the Hub to the internet no mater if it is your modem or a Powerline extender. 

talv
Guide
Guide

Thank you everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation