Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Hardly actively on ultra 2

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jcapache41
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the activity zone set, I have it at 100. but yet it does not pick up the motion. I live on a busy street to it should pick up everything that passes for example I have a alert on my feed at 3:44 pm. The next alert is not until 4:23 impossible. How do I get my alerts. I also do not get people passing by my house my other cameras it picked up person,vehicles and motion this does not what am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
TUKhS5Ays4Ez
Apprentice
Apprentice

How far away is the motion?  You might also want to add sound at level 2 sensitivity.  I have the opposite problem.  The cameras pick up shadow movement for spanish moss, sometimes dozens of times per day.  I have to use smart notifications to not alert me on motion, and only vehicles and people.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Shadows don't cause recordings, the sun's IR reflecting off the grass or whatever is uncovered as the shadow moves is the issue. Removing that area from the FOV is the solution while lowering motion sensitivity in your modes and rules can help some.

These cameras aren't really designed for monitoring street activity. People detection is out to ~25 feet but anything beyond that, especially NOT people, is basically undefined - you get what you get. The Ultras have such a wide angle FOV that the top 1/3 of the view is not available for intentional detection (you may get detections but you're on your own). Read the following for official postioning suggestions:

https://kb.arlo.com/37/Arlo-Camera-Placement-Tips

TUKhS5Ays4Ez
Apprentice
Apprentice

Spanish moss swaying in strong wind definitely causes recordings, especially with auto zoom and tracking enabled.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're missing the point on the technology. PIR sensors don't detect shadows - they detect IR changes across the FOV. The shadows simply block and reflect IR (usually from the sun) which is detected as movement. Eliminating the trees/bushes/moss/etc. from the view of the camera eliminates the false triggers. Because that isn't always possible, reducing motion sensitivity in your modes and rules also can be used. Many of us use a mode with reduced sensitivity along with the schedule  to automatically switch modes to help. Also, remember that the sun's angle constantly changes so you may have more issues at certain times of year than others.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation