Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does ANYONE like the Ultra2?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
BoulderMarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just ordered an Ultra2 “Security Kit” (3 cameras + hub) for $US 950 to operate on our WiFi LAN (7 WAPs / 10,000sqft), Apple Devices, HomeKit, VPN, etc. … with plans to add two more cameras, a wireless doorbell and multiple chimes. I logged in here for tips and see nothing but terrible reviews. Should I even try to unbox and install it … or just send it back?
6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BoulderMarc wrote:
I just ordered an Ultra2 “Security Kit” (3 cameras + hub) for $US 950 to operate on our WiFi LAN (7 WAPs / 10,000sqft), Apple Devices, HomeKit, VPN, etc. … with plans to add two more cameras, a wireless doorbell and multiple chimes. I logged in here for tips and see nothing but terrible reviews. Should I even try to unbox and install it … or just send it back?

I have 3 ultras in my camera mix, and have no issues with them.  I don't have any Ultra 2s though.

One aspect for you is that the Ultras need to be paired with a base/smarthub, and can't be connected to your existing WAPS.  You likely will need multiple base stations to get the range you are looking for.  Pro 4 cameras can connect to a smarthub,  but also can connect directly to your existing home wifi.  Resolution is only 2K, but at the bitrates Arlo uses that doesn't make as much difference as you might think.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You also have to remember that this sort of forum rarely gets positive comments - it's here primarily for those with issues and some of those folks are very negative. However, the fact that Arlo is a major player in the market means there's a whole lot of happy people using the various systems. They just don't post here.

BoulderMarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephanB, thank you for your reply. The Ultra2 spec includes “802.11 b/g/n”… I took that to mean each camera only needs to be within range of a WAP. (I have very good WiFi signal coverage.) Your post makes me doubt that is sufficient if each camera needs to be within range of the base unit. That definitely won’t work because I’d need 300+ foot range. Your comment makes me think I would need a wired hub paired with each camera. Is that a feasible topology?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BoulderMarc wrote:  The Ultra2 spec includes “802.11 b/g/n”… I took that to mean each camera only needs to be within range of a WAP. 

That is confusing.  But the Ultra/Ultra2 cameras only connect to a compatible smarthub/base over a closed wifi network.

@BoulderMarc wrote:
Your comment makes me think I would need a wired hub paired with each camera. Is that a feasible topology?

It is feasible, but it would be more direct to have at least some cameras that can connect to your WAPs.  Unfortunately the Ultras can't do that, so you'd lose 4K on those cameras.  The Pro 4s are only 2K, but they do use the same accessories (chargers, etc) as the Ultras.

BoulderMarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you, StephanB. Your clarification no doubt save me a lot of head scratching. I’ll consider the option of downgrading to 2K for the connectivity.
BoulderMarc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the helpful answers. I returned the Arlo products and am going with ring. The base station requirement was a non-starter for my application. Cheers.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation