Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Do I need a Smart Hub?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
joemanini
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Ultra camera bypassing the hub an connecting to Wi-Fi and I'm getting better performance that way. I have 3 other ultra cameras (2 Ultra and 1 Ultra2). I removed the Smart Hub and 3 cameras in hopes to connect them directly to Wi-Fi and completely removing the hub. Each time I try to add a camera it says plug in your hub and does not give an option of bypassing that option. Thoughts on what I'm trying to accomplish?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joemanini wrote:

It seems with the ultra cameras, I'm able to connect directly to Wi-Fi but the newer Ultra2 I'm not given the option

Neither camera supports a direct connection to your home wifi - so if your older cameras are connected that way, then they are not ultras.

There are two ways to determine the model

1. open the camera and remove the battery.  Then you will see a label
  2. go into the support area of the app and select the camera.  Scroll down to the product id area, and you will see the camera part number.

Note the Ultra has part number VMC5040, the Ultra 2's part number is VMC5042.

Your older cameras are possibly Pro 4s (VMB4041P, VMC4050P).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joemanini
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems with the ultra cameras, I'm able to connect directly to Wi-Fi but the newer Ultra2 I'm not given the option

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As far as I know, ultra and ultra 2 need a hub. No idea how you connected to your networks WiFi, if at all.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joemanini wrote:

Neither camera supports a direct connection to your home wifi - so if your older cameras are connected that way, then they are not ultras.

There are two ways to determine the model

1. open the camera and remove the battery.  Then you will see a label
  2. go into the support area of the app and select the camera.  Scroll down to the product id area, and you will see the camera part number.

Note the Ultra has part number VMC5040, the Ultra 2's part number is VMC5042.

Your older cameras are possibly Pro 4s (VMB4041P, VMC4050P).

joemanini
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I was mistaken. My 3 original cameras are Pro 4's. So I was successful connecting these to my Wi-Fi today. I realize now that the Ultra's need the hub so my 4th camera (Ultra2) is the only one using the hub now. I was was having a devil of the time getting all of that straight thinking the newer model must have the same capabilities as the older one with regards to Wireless. I'm sure they have their reasons for this. Thanks for the replies.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joemanini wrote:

I was was having a devil of the time getting all of that straight thinking the newer model must have the same capabilities as the older one with regards to Wireless.

The Ultra 2 isn't a new model, both the Ultra 2 and the Pro 4 were launched at the same time in 2020.

The Ultra 2 was a relatively small improvement on the Ultra (launched 2018), and both share the same VMC5040 part number.  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation