Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

4K video seems not clear

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
MohaKahl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

Whene I open video on Arlo app or on my macbook pro I can see that the resolution of the video is 3840 x 2160.

But the video is not really clear. I cannot see license plate for example. What do you think @StephenB or others ?

Thank you !

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras are VERY wide angle (180 degrees) so each pixel has to cover a larger area than a similar camera with a smaller FOV. The bitrate and compression then also gets in there so when you zoom it's not going to be crystal clear. These are (and always have been) activity cameras, not ID ones which use a much longer focal length and, hence, smaller FOV.

MohaKahl
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat

Thank you.

Do we have some parameters to make it better ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. Moving the camera closer to the subject would be the most likely solution. A camera with a smaller FOV woul\d also be a possibility.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MohaKahl wrote:

But the video is not really clear. I cannot see license plate for example. 

You need about 100 pixels across the license plate in order to clearly read it.  In most cases you aren't getting that with the Ultra (unless the license plate is quite close).  Motion blur is also a factor.  At night, headlight glare can make it impossible to even see the license plate.

Arlo cameras aren't designed for license plate capture - cameras that are generally have a much narrower field of view and a faster frame rate - and even then the camera needs to be set up carefully.

But to your main point - I also find that the 4K video isn't as clear as I'd like.  It is limited by the low bitrate used in the HEVC compression.  I've often suggested an option to give 3x the bitrate in exchange for reducing retention from 30 days to 7 days.  Hopefully someday...

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation