Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smart hub functionality?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Foques
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am I understanding the concept of the smart hub correctly?

My understanding that it performs two things:

1) moves all cameras off of my wifi to it's own.

2) allows local recording.

if my #1 understanding is correct, what channel is the hub broadcasting on? Since I installed cameras, i'm getting wifi interference, so my hope is to move my router to a different channel.

6 REPLIES 6
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The smart hub or base station will usually match the same wifi channel as the highest wifi level such as a local router.

The wifi channel for the base/hub is not adjustable but usually your router can be changed via the router web interface so the base/hub will follow when restarted.

The Base/hub should be at least 6ft away from your local router to minimise signal interference since the local router can overload the base/hub receiver and vice versa.

Foques
Aspirant
Aspirant

that's a bummer. 

the whole point of hoping to move to a different channel was to alleviate this overload. thanks.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I recall that arlo made the change early on to minimise potential interference issues. Spacing between the base and router is what is important now.

What is impacted by interference for your setup?

Foques
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an array of wireless devices which are streaming consistently. 

One that suffers most is the baby camera. Interestingly enough, I have just bumped to a channel 16 and Hub hasn't moved from 1-4 channels (according to wifi analysis tool, at least).. the overall network behaviour has also improved. So I wonder if it isn't smart enough to know to hop to custom channels.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I have no idea if the base/hubs uses a regional channels list for the channel selection.

To comply with local spectrum allocations it should be.

Of course you might be by selecting a channel outside the local spectrum licensing. Something to consider, but if it works?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Foques wrote:

I have just bumped to a channel 16 and Hub hasn't moved from 1-4 channels 

There is no channel 16 in the 2.4 ghz band that can be legally used.

I suspect Arlo smarthubs will always stay between channels 1-11 (though this is not something I've tested).