Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JTG1
Follower
Follower

Has there been a fix for the Arlo Smart motion detection detecting everything even though only people are checked? I have a mix of Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 4 cameras and the smart detection doesn't work, activity zones don't work and choosing people only doesn't work it detects animals, cars and bushes moving. I've tried rebooting the base station and all cameras. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JTG1 wrote:

Has there been a fix for the Arlo Smart motion detection detecting everything even though only people are checked? I have a mix of Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 4 cameras and the smart detection doesn't work, activity zones don't work and choosing people only doesn't work it detects animals, cars and bushes moving. I've tried rebooting the base station and all cameras. Thanks!

Setting smart notifications for people only should filter out notifications for animals, etc.  But it does not affect what is recorded.

Motion outside the activity zones shouldn't result in either a notification or a recording.  Have you tried deleting the zones on a camera, and then re-creating them?  Note if there is some small motion inside the zone, you might still get the notification and recording.

Nadia_R_BE
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo Pro 3 camera’s and a wired doorbell + chime2

I am not very happy with this Smart motion functionality either … recently I even had to tick off vehicles because I got a constant stream of alerts for my car that was parked ( and thus standing still) on my driveway . WTF?

If the weather is great (sunny and not windy ) the functionality is rather ok, but It works indeed extremely poorely if you have trees or plants in sight of the camera that move because of the wind. You still get a lot of notifications even though ‘all other motion’ is ticked off and activity zones are set to exclude the vegetation.

So, I had to put off the alerts for vehicles and as a consequence I have no more alerts either if a strange car drives up our driveway .. 

People notifications are obviously checked on all my cameras. On several occasions people have come to our place and they were not detected at all …

I have a number of cameras and the cost of the subscription fee is becoming too high for the value this is bringing ..

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nadia_R_BE wrote:

I have Arlo Pro 3 camera’s and a wired doorbell + chime2

I am not very happy with this Smart motion functionality either … recently I even had to tick off vehicles because I got a constant stream of alerts for my car that was parked ( and thus standing still) on my driveway

An issue is that Smart has to be trained - use the Donate selection when viewing the video to allow the AI team to better fine-tune the process. It may be that something else actually triggered the recording but the car is the most visible item so Smart selects that.

Arlo1342
Apprentice
Apprentice

The problem is that the cameras record EVERYTHING within their field of view, it's what you allow yourself to be notified about that actually gives the impression of "smart" motion detection.

There is no actual smart motion detection, it's a misnomer, if you tell the camera you don't want to "detect" cars or animals then all you're telling the system is not to "notify" you about them, because they're still being detected and recorded, you're just not being told about it.

It's just another misleading description of a feature by arlo, I set my sensitivity to 20% which pretty much cuts out all activations unless they're within a few feet of the camera, this suits my needs but maybe not yours, so my advice is play with the sensitivity settings to cut back on triggers, it's more useful.